A message to coaches from a pitching instructor.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
I quickly learned I couldn't hit out of this stance. But I darn sure tried. Definitely don't see my girls emulating anyone like that. They do however seem to mirror my flaws. I think we hit on that in a throwing thread. I wanted to just blame genetics. Not monkey see monkey do. lol

andredawsonstance.jpg

Apr 14, 2022
I had maybe 5-6 hitters work with him through years. He taught hitting down on ball and lot of forward tilt.

The ones it worked well for had a shorter, stronger build. But taller girls.....oh man it was a disaster. Generally they moved on after few months.
Curious is he teaching what some of the slow pitch hitters do? I think they call it a cut down swing.

May 17, 2023
Curious is he teaching what some of the slow pitch hitters do? I think they call it a cut down swing.

Haha......I had to go look up what that is. Not exactly the same swing but kind of the same idea of hitting down on the ball sharply.

Of course he has been teaching it for 20+ years so maybe was just a genius ahead of his time.

Oct 4, 2018
Those boys need to sit down and watch 'The Bad News Bears' where they get the punk little pitcher kid to stop emulating all his favorite pro pitchers.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You are making a big assumption here that the coach actually understands what needs to be done. The quality of coaches in school ball varies so widely, and the biggest problem is most coaches don't realize where they fall on that spectrum.

The unacknowledged problem is that the quality of coaches who give private lessons varies just as, if not more, widely.

The big problem is that every private coach thinks they know something, and quite a few don't. A lot of school coaches who don't know a lot also aren't trying to change too much, so they won't do a whole lot of damage.

Jun 8, 2016
The unacknowledged problem is that the quality of coaches who give private lessons varies just as, if not more, widely.

The big problem is that every private coach thinks they know something, and quite a few don't. A lot of school coaches who don't know a lot also aren't trying to change too much, so they won't do a whole lot of damage.
I usually just assume everybody is an idiot until they prove me wrong..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez