A message to coaches from a pitching instructor.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Saw this message it is from a very experienced pitching instructor who produces excellent and elite pitchers.

Think it has very good advice within it.

The beginning sentence is~
A message to all travel ball and High School coaches.
Screenshot_20230831-125816_Instagram.jpg

My addition to this~Would apply this advice to other things as well like hitting and catching.

Oct 4, 2018
Great message, and so obvious (to me).

When I coached travel, one of my first questions to the girls is who takes lessons. I would then leave those girls alone for the most part, or say things like "What does your hitting coach say about..." to try to generate some thought/conversation. I never coached beyond 10U so never felt the need to chat with their instructors. But I knew enough not to apply my limited knowledge toward the mechanics of a girl going to an expert.

Problem here is, how do we get that message out. My DD's HS coach is trying to tell her how to throw a rise ball. Ugh.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

When I coached travel, one of my first questions to the girls is who takes lessons. I would then leave those girls alone for the most part, or say things like "What does your hitting coach say about..." to try to generate some thought/conversation. I never coached beyond 10U so never felt the need to chat with their instructors. But I knew enough not to apply my limited knowledge toward the mechanics of a girl going to an expert.

Problem here is, how do we get that message out. My DD's HS coach is trying to tell her how to throw a rise ball. Ugh.
I would have no problem asking pitching coach to call HS coach for a little chat.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Saw this message it is from a very experienced pitching instructor who produces excellent and elite pitchers.

View attachment 28674

My addition to this~Would apply this advice to other things as well like hitting and catching.
Haha!! Honestly the college coaches should be the ones reading that. They are messing up the kids more than the HS coaches!

May 13, 2023

✔️👍 hoping posting it here will help get the message out further!

May 13, 2023
I would have no problem asking pitching coach to call HS coach for a little chat.
Think that is a difficult thing to have an *outsider call some coach (who may need an obvious conversation)
The difficult part is the person who needs the conversation needs to make the phone call!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

View attachment 28674

So, you would expect school coaches to be supervisors. While I understand that the conditions in all areas of this country are not the same, in my area if you lose you get fired. Would you trust someone else with your coaching position? Finally, what if I think I know more than the expert? Just because someone calls themselves an expert doesn't make it so.

May 13, 2023
So, you would expect school coaches to be supervisors.
No.

While I understand that the conditions in all areas of this country are not the same, in my area if you lose you get fired. Would you trust someone else with your coaching position? Finally, what if I think I know more than the expert? Just because someone calls themselves an expert doesn't make it so.
There is The Dilemma of coaches ignoring the fact that some players have acquired training and knowledge of their own. And some have been training with this for years.
IMO respectfully from both sides, there should be a conversation involved.
Even if it is just the coach inquiring with the player as to their knowledge about what they are trying to do (even if not going as far as speaking to an instructor)
> instead of a one-way do it coaches way situation.

The benefit of coaches reaching out to instructors is understanding both the instructor and potentially learning new things.

Definitely know there are catchers that are far more trained with knowledge and experience than a noticeable percentage of coaches.
Sometimes these coaches are telling catchers to do things that is absolutely not helpful. And ignoring having a conversation with the player to have an understanding of why they are doing what they're doing. Which may include why they're not going to do what the coach is telling them to do.

It is unfortunate that communication skills sometimes fall to the wayside. To that regard is why people say
'just let coach's comment go in one ear and out the other' to their daughters.

Nov 18, 2022
We have discussed that (my DD and I). She's asked that we hold off a bit and see if she can correct it with the "nod and say yes while changing nothing" method of jedi mind control.

This is typically what my daughter did with her hs coach on batting- smile and nod and then don't make the adjustment- he stopped trying and she led the team last year-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619