So, tell me your theories on stealing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Depends on my #2 hitter. Take a pitch away or let her swing away.
Straight steal to 3B depending on how the defense is set up and then what is the speed on the SS.

Other side of it, if I know a team will steal first pitch or have a bunt advance I'm going hard curve/rise to get the ball in the air for a double up.

May 1, 2018
Need to know the Catcher the short stop, how is the throw back to P.... what's the count, has the P been throwing change ups or balls in the dirt......

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You've never played or seen the team play before.

Conveniently, the tradition of the game has the catcher demonstrate a sample of what they are approximately capable of before the first batter steps into the box. There's a lot that can be learned.

My DD has, on occasion, sandbagged her throwdown in order to entice coaches to send runners. Generally, however, she prefers to fire the cannon to keep them from even trying.

Jun 8, 2016
Lot of games on FB nowadays. Works well for pool and if there are breaks between games…

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I like stealing, actually really like it. However, nothing sucks worse and kills the momentum for the offense like a runner getting caught. I think it should be used sparingly. Not a lot of teams steal in the upper divisions and it's usually reserved for the fastest girls on the team.

As a catcher, DD gets runners about 40% of the time. However, that includes balls in the dirt and other tough transition pitches and situations, including lefty batters as well. If the runner is sent on a righty batter and the ball is middle to middle out, that percentage jumps to probably 90% caught. If a team sends on first pitch no matter what, expect to be thrown out! Usually better to have the first attempted steal way later in the game, especially on a 2 strike count and hope that the catcher is caught focusing on the receiving of the pitch.

Stealing is very much situation, batter, and pitch sensitive.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like stealing, actually really like it. However, nothing sucks worse and kills the momentum for the offense like a runner getting caught. I think it should be used sparingly. Not a lot of teams steal in the upper divisions and it's usually reserved for the fastest girls on the team.

As a catcher, DD gets runners about 40% of the time. However, that includes balls in the dirt and other tough transition pitches and situations, including lefty batters as well. If the runner is sent on a righty batter and the ball is middle to middle out, that percentage jumps to probably 90% caught. If a team sends on first pitch no matter what, expect to be thrown out! Usually better to have the first attempted steal way later in the game, especially on a 2 strike count and hope that the catcher is caught focusing on the receiving of the pitch.

Stealing is very much situation, batter, and pitch sensitive.

I'm betting your DD's F6 is excellent, which is a critical part of the equation. Former F6 on my DD's team ('21 grad) had spectacular hands for receiving and tagging. They got a lot of outs together. The current crop of F6s on the team aren't at the same level, and SB attempts have been a lot more successful. DD is frustrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy