Question about stealing home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The OP was asking for what the call should've been. Responses like this are so utterly worthless. Literally everybody knows that whatever the umpire "sees" goes, but that is useless in teaching people what the call should have been so they fully understand the rules. It's not about changing the call. It's about learning what the call should've been and growing one's personal knowledge about the game.

Maybe next time the OP will have an umpire that doesn't quite understand the rule as well, but now they understand it better so they can actually help get the call corrected.
The OP is asking for people to tell them that they are right. That’s all. They already know the rule. They know the answer, they are just looking for 25 people to tell them they were screwed. And I’m sure that mom in the stands with her iPhone in hand asking to tell the ump what the call should have been is going to go over really well.

May 1, 2018
While a ump looking dead at her might have gotten it..... just good base running in my book. Pitcher and Catcher failed to hold them.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
That is some clear video, and that was an obvious LBR violation. Pitcher never left the circle during any part of the play. The runner hesitates on the base for ~3 seconds, and then runs after the pitcher turns her back...VERY clearly inside the circle. The umpires were asleep here. Whoever told you that catcher positioning is relevant needs to find a new crack dealer.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022
The OP is asking for people to tell them that they are right. That’s all. They already know the rule. They know the answer, they are just looking for 25 people to tell them they were screwed. And I’m sure that mom in the stands with her iPhone in hand asking to tell the ump what the call should have been is going to go over really well.
A couple of points to address your concerns about my motive:
1. No one complained about the play during the game. Only the catcher asked for clarification.
2. To use your words, this is not the first time we've been screwed this season (I'm already working on my next post!) The next day the UIC was calling our game. We showed him the video to get his opinion. I thought he would agree with me that it was a bad call and the runner was out, but instead, he told us that the call was in fact correct because the catcher was not at her position and the runner was free to run.
3. The opposing coach played softball in college and I believe that she has a firm grasp of the rules. If she does, in fact, understand the rules, then why did she clearly encourage illegal base running and risk getting called out? At that point, I started to question my understanding of the rules. If this is not a forum to discuss softball rules, please let me know.
4. My daughter believes it's important for her to understand if she should've done something differently or if the way it went down was just rotten luck. Thank you to the 25 people who have assured me it's just rotten luck.

May 16, 2016
Instead of acting confused, pitcher should be holding ball up so Umps can clearly see she has ball in circle. Umps zoned out, and blew call. It happens.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
3. The opposing coach played softball in college and I believe that she has a firm grasp of the rules. If she does, in fact, understand the rules, then why did she clearly encourage illegal base running and risk getting called out? At that point, I started to question my understanding of the rules. If this is not a forum to discuss softball rules, please let me know.

The same way there's nothing to suggest a person who played in college is automatically going to be a good coach, playing in college is in no way an indicator that a person has a clear grasp of the rules.

Jun 20, 2015
The second the ump pulled the "catcher out of position" from the MSU rule book, you were screwed. Blue missed the call. Runner out.

And the coach being former college player has zero to do with entire situation. She exploited an umpire crew that was clearly clueless.

Aug 12, 2014
My understanding is an umpire can only call what they see and shouldn't be guessing on what happened if they miss the play. In 10u my DD lost a bracket game because the other coach (who also was the tournament director) convinced the umpire our runner took off after the pitcher was in the circle when the pitcher was two to three steps outside the circle when our runner took off. Umpires weren't paying attention and guessed.

We had a similar situation in a playoff game last year. A runner scored, the opposing coach insisted she missed the plate. The ump called her out. I asked him if he saw her miss it, he said he did. We had a parent taking a ton of photos during the game and he actually got one showing the runner clearly stepping on the plate. I'm pretty sure he didn't see it either way and let the coach talk him into the call.

3. The opposing coach played softball in college and I believe that she has a firm grasp of the rules. If she does, in fact, understand the rules, then why did she clearly encourage illegal base running and risk getting called out?

Either she didn't think the pitcher was in the circle yet or started telling the runner to go before the pitcher was in the circle, or she knew it was illegal and thought she could get away with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812