So, tell me your theories on stealing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Let's say for 14U and up.

Your lead off batter, who is really fast gets on first base her first time up. Are you sending her every time?

Straight steal of 3rd? Is that even a thing without your batter committing interference which you hope goes uncalled?

Tell me your theories on stealing. You don't need to limit yourself to the two questions above.
Some of my theories on stealing.

1. Really really fast runners steal 2nd on first pitch.
2. Always have batter take the pitch to avoid DP's.
3. Semi-fast runners have the green light to steal 2nd on all pitches in the dirt.
4. Really really fast runners have green light to steal 3rd on all pitches in the dirt with a RH batter up.

Jun 8, 2016
Not quite stealing but thoughts on running on defensive indifference? DD played on a team where it was always let go and then on a team that seemed to always throw. The team that threw seemed to lose more runs than catch runners at 2nd so I never understood, but then again I'm no coach. Surely the coach had a reason.
By definition when there is defensive indifference the runner ran..cannot have it otherwise so I am not sure the question… ( unless you count the defensive performance of 12-13 YOs for 8 am games where the coach has them there at 6:45 and the park is an hour away…)

Oct 10, 2018
By definition when there is defensive indifference the runner ran..cannot have it otherwise so I am not sure the question… ( unless you count the defensive performance of 12-13 YOs for 8 am games where the coach has them there at 6:45 and the park is an hour away…)
Sorry to not be clear. Runners at 1st and 3rd, batter up (count/outs don't seem to matter). 1br runs for 2nd - catcher throws to 2nd - 3br runs for home and it seemed that most of the time the 3br got the run in and the catcher did not get the out at 2nd. Why would a coach want the catcher to throw in this scenario? On that team seemed the catcher always threw, with little success, so I'm just wondering in the experienced parents/coaches here had an idea why. TIA

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry to not be clear. Runners at 1st and 3rd, batter up (count/outs don't seem to matter). 1br runs for 2nd - catcher throws to 2nd - 3br runs for home and it seemed that most of the time the 3br got the run in and the catcher did not get the out at 2nd. Why would a coach want the catcher to throw in this scenario? On that team seemed the catcher always threw, with little success, so I'm just wondering in the experienced parents/coaches here had an idea why. TIA
So this is a defensive question. There was some discussion of this in this thread:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy