Statement from USSSA on age cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Just wondering why they do not do more single year tournaments like baseball. For talented players the gap is not a big deal, for lesser players it can limit opportunities to develop.
I think grade makes more since for mainly social reasons. Generally start playing by grade. 5th 6th graders and 7-8 graders socialize compete in other activities. Rarely see 5th and 7th teammates or competitors in much of anything else.

Usa change lumps 6,7 then 8-9, 10-11, 12 college. Much rather see 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12.
Yeah I can understand what you are saying but TB parents complain about a lot of things and the age groupings didn’t seem to be one of them..but I could just not be listening 😂

Sep 9, 2019
From what perspective? How would it have improved your DD’s experience?
Quite simply, DD was a senior in high school when all but one of her travel teammates were off to college. DD is an 03, to align more with graduating classes, she would have to play with 04s. This does not align with how most organizations work as they try and build consistency rather than reload half the team each year. Also from a recruiting perspective, wouldn't it be easier to see one team of like aged girls rather than 3 on this team, 2 on this......
Even at the younger non-recruiting ages, wouldn't they rather play with classmates or same grade level? A lot of grade based clicks with young girls.

Jun 8, 2016
Even at the younger non-recruiting ages, wouldn't they rather play with classmates or same grade level? A lot of grade based clicks with young girls.
I suppose. My kid has a Sept birthday and has actually played up a year since she started (so often she is playing with kids 2 grades ahead of her) and hasn't ever had any issues getting along her teammates but I acknowledge that that may not be the norm.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
Just wondering why they do not do more single year tournaments like baseball. For talented players the gap is not a big deal, for lesser players it can limit opportunities to develop.
I think grade makes more since for mainly social reasons. Generally start playing by grade. 5th 6th graders and 7-8 graders socialize compete in other activities. Rarely see 5th and 7th teammates or competitors in much of anything else.

Usa change lumps 6,7 then 8-9, 10-11, 12 college. Much rather see 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12.
In our area it is because it is difficult for teams to get an entire roster of the kids with same birth year. We have played in a few tournaments that were 8u 9u 10u etc but they were big tournaments with teams from multiple states.

Jul 14, 2018
My DD is a Dec birthday but I think even if she was a January my feelings would be the same. We are playing up.

DD is the same with the December birthday. Looking back, the biggest mistake we made in TB was playing that last fall season in 8U when our team was still eligible. They romped over everyone and were ill-prepared to start 10U in the spring, especially since that was the start of kid pitch. Fall ball should be the place to get ready for whatever level you’ll be playing in the spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021
DD is the same with the December birthday. Looking back, the biggest mistake we made in TB was playing that last fall season in 8U when our team was still eligible. They romped over everyone and were ill-prepared to start 10U in the spring, especially since that was the start of kid pitch. Fall ball should be the place to get ready for whatever level you’ll be playing in the spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Around here everyone moves up in the fall.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I do think it's rediculous that 15 year olds can max 14U because of the magical Jan. 1 cut, etc etc. That growth/size between 12-16 years old is crazy for all sports...I completely understand trying to keep it to a school age set window USA is pushing for.

May 13, 2021
I do think it's rediculous that 15 year olds can max 14U because of the magical Jan. 1 cut, etc etc. That growth/size between 12-16 years old is crazy for all sports...I completely understand trying to keep it to a school age set window USA is pushing for.
No matter where they put the date it is not going to change the difference in ages between the girls. Two years is two years no matter which month you start with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee