Sac Fly... maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Consideration has to be given for level of play
GREEN: I saw an outfielder get trapped under an outfield fence after slipping on wet grass while fielding a ball ... Waving their arms in distress and it was "play on" ... Also saw my second baseman chasing a base runner through the outfield trying to make a tag and the Umpire never killed the play ... In that situation she ended up rolling her ankle and was out for the year ... UGH! The Umpires excuse In the second case; "It's just a scrimmage."

RED: I've also seen a 3rd base coach (in HS ball) with bases loaded only needing one run for the slaughter rule to take effect emphatically waving in all the runners to clear that bases on a ball that got past an outfielder ... Having class is not universal.

BLUE: You mean F9 ... LOL ... I had a F9 back in the REC ball days who was mad at her mother who was in the stands ... Ground ball hit right to her stopping about 10 feet in front of her, she never took a step and stood there looking at the ball ... As you can imagine all of the fans were screaming (as Pattar points out) for her to pick up the ball to no avail ... F3 eventually ran out to get it but it was scored an inside the park HR ... Also in those days had a F3 who was very slow coming in for a bunt ... So I told her we were going to have her stay back on bunts and let F1 & F5 field them ... Next game a hard bunt comes right to her, without taking a step she could have bent over and picked it up ... She pauses, looks at the ball, processes the situation and runs to first base empty handed = no error.

*If you haven't seen crazy stuff that should have never happened but did, keep going to the ball field because you will.
I can’t defend or even explain the bad behavior/ poor sportsmanship. It always boggles my mind.

For the blue, it sounds like very low age/level of play where stats should not be driving almost anything anyway. If those were higher level situations, I have errors on all of them.

And apologies for the R v F. Brain fart.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Consideration has to be given for level of play

I can’t defend or even explain the bad behavior/ poor sportsmanship. It always boggles my mind.

For the blue, it sounds like very low age/level of play where stats should not be driving almost anything anyway. If those were higher level situations, I have errors on all of them.

And apologies for the R v F. Brain fart.

The blue ??? LMAO ... Low level yes, not low age ... The outfield situation was 16U REC and the bunt run away situation; 18U REC ... LOL

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Scoring from second counts. Scoring from first, which sounds crazy, would not. Would love to see it though.

Scoring from 2nd isn't all that unusual:

I've seen sac flies from second in 12-inch slow pitch (with no fences) quite often.

Oct 4, 2018
Understood and agreed.

Certainly nothing I've seen and may never see.

Unbelievable.

This happened to us Saturday. I mean crazy that we just talked about it. I'm pretty sure I can find the play and post it.

And honestly, I think I'm wrong. I don't see how not to call this a sac fly, but GameChanger wouldn't let us.

[EDIT] - I can't find it, but here's the deal

Our fastest player is on second, no outs. Our #3 hitter hits one hard, but high. Girl on second knows it's most likely a catch or a HR. So she's tagging the whole time. CF goes back to the fence and makes a great diving catch at the temporary fence. Our runner tags and never stops, getting home easily.

No error, run scored.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Unbelievable.

This happened to us Saturday. I mean crazy that we just talked about it. I'm pretty sure I can find the play and post it.

And honestly, I think I'm wrong. I don't see how not to call this a sac fly, but GameChanger wouldn't let us.

Our fastest player is on second, no outs. Our #3 hitter hits one hard, but high. Girl on second knows it's most likely a catch or a HR. So she's tagging the whole time. CF goes back to the fence and makes a great diving catch at the temporary fence. Our runner tags and never stops, getting home easily.

No error, run scored.

That's absolutely a sac fly.

Looking at different scoring rules, and I can't find anything to suggest it shouldn't be.

OBR says:
1683563733990.png

NFHS (rules book is a few years old, but I can't imagine this has changed):

ART. 4 . . . A sacrifice hit is credited to the batter when, with not more than one out, a bunt (F. P.)
enables any runner to advance or a fly ball enables a runner to score; but, in either case, batter-runner
is put out before reaching first or would have been put out if the hit had been fielded
without error.

NCAA Softball:
Sacrifice Fly: A legally batted fly ball with less than two out that results in a runner scoring a run. If the fielder drops the ball but, in the scorer’s opinion, the runner would have scored had the fielder held the ball, the play shall be scored as a sacrifice fly, and an error shall be given to the defensive player.

Definitely a sac fly, and I guess to get around it in Game Changer you'd have to find a way to advance the runner to third prior to the sac fly was hit.

Jun 8, 2016
Unbelievable.

No error, run scored.
Why wouldn't that be a sac fly? Gamechanger is just a computer program..sometimes those have issues ;)

As has been said, scoring from 2B on a sac fly, while rare, happens. Scoring from 1B on one though...that is a different animal.

Oct 4, 2018
Definitely a sac fly, and I guess to get around it in Game Changer you'd have to find a way to advance the runner to third prior to the sac fly was hit.

That makes sense and is probably the best way to do it in real time.

Yeah, we want to fairly give the batter a Sac Fly (no AB) and the RBI. At this point we'll just go into web.gc.com and do it manually to the cumulative stats.

Oct 4, 2018
Why wouldn't that be a sac fly? Gamechanger is just a computer program..sometimes those have issues ;)

As has been said, scoring from 2B on a sac fly, while rare, happens. Scoring from 1B on one though...that is a different animal.

Earlier in the thread I was doubtful the runner could score from 2B without me finding someone to give an error to. I certainly recognized what transpired in our game Saturday could happen, just very doubtful I'd ever see it. It was our first game of the day. Crazy.

Jun 8, 2016
Earlier in the thread I was doubtful the runner could score from 2B without me finding someone to give an error to. I certainly recognized what transpired in our game Saturday could happen, just very doubtful I'd ever see it. It was our first game of the day. Crazy.
You should question whether you will ever see your DD throw a perfect game... you know, test out the limits of this new found power of yours..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles