Statement from USSSA on age cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
January bi
No matter where they put the date it is not going to change the difference in ages between the girls. Two years is two years no matter which month you start with.
Primary seasons are summer though, so that's why that January has always been odd to me that you can flip past the cut and still play under.

Jun 8, 2016
I do think it's rediculous that 15 year olds can max 14U because of the magical Jan. 1 cut, etc etc. That growth/size between 12-16 years old is crazy for all sports...I completely understand trying to keep it to a school age set window USA is pushing for.
With the current age cutoff, 12U is where I saw the biggest physical differences for girls from a purely physical maturity standpoint. I haven't seen much in 14U.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
With the current age cutoff, 12U is where I saw the biggest physical differences for girls from a purely physical maturity standpoint. I haven't seen much in 14U.
It's crazy all over. My daughter is 12 and plays 14U she isn't muscle like the 13 year olds but as tall pretty much, we have 13 and 14 ages across the roster, three of our girls look 16+ in being mucled out and a foot taller, it's insane.

I'm not dying on this hill, lol. :p Just find it wierd that the cut is January but primary season are summer months technically, which at that point puts girls 6-8 months older across all divisions.

I know all practice and or play pretty much all year around for many...Just talking about targeted season for that 8-14 age window.

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
My daughter is 5’5 155 lbs and her bday is 1/27. So she’d be 13 on a 12u team. She’s gonna be playing Middle School. Her 12u Rec team would consist of players moving up to 12u. I’d rather just play her up and play against girls she’s gonna compete against in Middle School and also girls that she’s been playing with. Not holding her back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
You have seen my 13 YO, right?? :ROFLMAO:

My daughter is 5’5 155 lbs and her bday is 1/27. So she’d be 13 on a 12u team. She’s gonna be playing Middle School. Her 12u Rec team would consist of players moving up to 12u. I’d rather just play her up and play against girls she’s gonna compete against in Middle School and also girls that she’s been playing with. Not holding her back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt, Ive had my daughter playing up since 10U in B and A levels, we are looking to possibly go 13U straight up next season to see how she rolls against her peers currently. Just talking out loud in general here...we have JV fall leagues outside of sanctioned and my have her work into that instead of middle which rolls 6-8 grade. Just depends...haven't thought about it too much yet, as we are deep into summer ball and tourneys all over the place. Just saying the size gap does impact things until all start to level around 15-16 years old. In the end, see the ball hit the ball, and work on mechanics while hammering in fundamentals in the outfield for her.

Jun 8, 2016
No doubt, Ive had my daughter playing up since 10U in B and A levels, we are looking to possibly go 13U straight up next season to see how she rolls against her peers currently. Just talking out loud in general here...we have JV fall leagues outside of sanctioned and my have her work into that instead of middle which rolls 6-8 grade. Just depends...haven't thought about it too much yet, as we are deep into summer ball and tourneys all over the place. Just saying the size gap does impact things until all start to level around 15-16 years old. In the end, see the ball hit the ball, and work on mechanics while hammering in fundamentals in the outfield for her.
When I said that it was in reference to how skinny my 13 YO is..lol. 5'8 almost 5'9 and 120 lbs :ROFLMAO:.

Jun 8, 2016
I know, I know, but I ain't making any joke comments on peeps daughters here. Fundamentals input opinions are it.
Fair enough..I will do it for you ;) . She takes after me. I was 6' 140 my freshmen year in HS..lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802