Sac Fly... maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Somebody asked this on a Facebook Forum. They didn't offer context, so I'm not sure how it happened. They were using GameChanger and it wouldn't allow 2 RBIs on a sac fly. It lead to discussion & I wanted to get your thoughts.

Runners on first & second, batter hits a flyball (caught) and somehow both runners score.

It sounds to me like a sac fly 2 RBIs, GameChanger wouldn't allow more than one RBI.

It's odd, so maybe GC just didn't have multiple RBIs in it's sac fly algorithm.

Others said there would have had to have been extenuating circumstances for someone to score from first of a flyout, errors runners moving up on the throw. Probably, but not necessarily. Fast runners, a deep ball and an OF chasing away, a diving catch, a weak armed OF... lots of things could make it a legit play. Hell, both runners could have been stealing on the pitch, and thought there were two outs and just kept running on a really high flyball.

Is there any rule that states you can't get 2 RBIs on a sac fly?

Jul 2, 2013
I'd have trouble scoring a runner from second on a "sac fly", let alone a runner from first. Did the outfielder catch the ball and promptly fall down with an injury or something?

Side note: I would guess the girl who flied out to score the two runs was related to the scorekeeper...

Jan 8, 2019
I can’t see a way I would ever try to score that as a sac for the runner on first.

Maybe if there was no fence, and the girl hit an absolute BOMB like 350+ feet and the momentum of the OF at a full sprint carried her another 50 ft away from the plate, and the runners were all Usain Bolt?

But as I recall, this was a younger age bracket, so the more likely scenario was that they scored on a secondary fielding error or someone just held onto the ball forever.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
OK but, the question I'm asking is... Could it be correctly scored that way if it did happen?

I agree it's an absurd situation, but there was the video where the girl robbed the HR & smashed her ribs on the fence and the girl on second tagged and scored.

The definition of sac fly says caught by an OF and a runner tags and scores. Can 2 runners score on a sac fly?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
OK but, the question I'm asking is... Could it be correctly scored that way if it did happen?

I agree it's an absurd situation, but there was the video where the girl robbed the HR & smashed her ribs on the fence and the girl on second tagged and scored.

The definition of sac fly says caught by an OF and a runner tags and scores. Can 2 runners score on a sac fly?
The simple answer is yes. The textbook definition is that a runner must be in scoring position, so that rules out a runner on first. It is not a common occurrence, but it has happened in MLB a few times. Most of the time it happens when an outfielder catches a a deep fly and forgets how many outs there are already, and he starts jogging to the dugout while the runners advance. It's not an error, despite it being a major brain fart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles