Small ball is ....dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
In watching games the last few days, some in person, some on TV--and as was being bandied about on the college board, UCS--the corners are back for 3 through 6 in the lineup, the hitters are swinging away. 4 run leads evaporating. Even slappers are aiming for the gaps or short OUTFIELD on the line.

I swear the infield positioning, looked like, dare I say it, baseball, or slowpitch depths. Got some good arms out there.

Love it.

Jul 26, 2010
I miss it ;(

Watching the pro Japanese game is so much more exciting then watching these kids play glory ball in college. The game has taken on a slower pace, and power has trumped athleticism in many departments. I was watching the UCLA Arizona games last week and the ones that tried to bunt, generally failed, and the ones that hit short bloopers into infield, got on base. Neither offense or defense is playing the kind of softball that I'd expect at this level.

-W

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I miss it ;(

Watching the pro Japanese game is so much more exciting then watching these kids play glory ball in college. The game has taken on a slower pace, and power has trumped athleticism in many departments. I was watching the UCLA Arizona games last week and the ones that tried to bunt, generally failed, and the ones that hit short bloopers into infield, got on base. Neither offense or defense is playing the kind of softball that I'd expect at this level.

-W

The girls are finally learning how to really hit. The reason small ball was ever in play is because the girls throughout the sport were taught a swing that didn't work. Players that bunt today are mainly the players that can't hit as well as they'd like. I'll take a double in the gap over a bunt base hit any day of the week. Especially with runners on base.

"Power trumped athleticism"? Not really. The possibility of doubles and home runs have trumped the weak singles.

Third basemen need to be a little more careful about playing 10 ft. away from the hitters now.
Back in the day they didn't because nobody knew how to hit. No more 1-0 final scores. This is more exciting than 17 strikeout games.

Swing it hard, just in case you hit it!

Jul 28, 2008
I've watched teams with speed, not just faster girls, but crazy fast girls, eat up large hitting teams. Hit and run, stealing, bunting...it flusters the heck out of defenses. I would rather watch that any day. Much more fun to manage, too. There is no managing in long ball.

Sep 3, 2009
I've watched teams with speed, not just faster girls, but crazy fast girls, eat up large hitting teams. Hit and run, stealing, bunting...it flusters the heck out of defenses. I would rather watch that any day. Much more fun to manage, too. There is no managing in long ball.

I agree completely. And it's quite obvious what teams work on defending small ball, and which ones don't.

Sep 3, 2009
The girls are finally learning how to really hit. The reason small ball was ever in play is because the girls throughout the sport were taught a swing that didn't work. Players that bunt today are mainly the players that can't hit as well as they'd like.

Perhaps in the 70's that was the case. Look at the stats of college players now, who are your 'small ball' hittters, the slappers and bunters. Compare their BA and OBP with the 4 spots on their team. Sure a double to corner is exciting, but I'd rather watch the athleticism and skill of the slapper bounce one right over SS's head and beat the throw to 1st any day. Small ball will wear out a def.

Jul 26, 2010
Just what is so different about swings today? Looks the same to me. It's the bats.

Bingo!

Watch any NCAA baseball lately? Small ball is back in a big away after the bat changed. Did those kids suddenly forget how to hit?

Yes, it's wonderful watching 120lb girls loft a softball over the fence seemingly at will. However, watching the fielding (or lack there-of) tells me that athleticism has been lost in the process. The teams with the biggest hitters seem to be the weakest on defense.

-W

Sep 3, 2009
Just what is so different about swings today? Looks the same to me. It's the bats.

The swings used to be different, the "softball swing" is a thing of the past.

The bats for the most part, are out of the equation. NCAA put in place an approved bat list this year. If the bat wasn't tested and approved by the NCAA, you couldn't use it. Why do you think Hawaii went from over 150 HR's, to barely 50? 6 of the 8 teams in last year's WCWS had bats that tested over the standard.

I don't think small ball is dead at any level of this sport. I do think there are a great many coaches, that don't believe in it, or don't understand it, or who are ignorant of it and simply think the only way to get on base is to hit one to the opposite corner. We love playing those teams. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Bingo!

Watch any NCAA baseball lately? Small ball is back in a big away after the bat changed. Did those kids suddenly forget how to hit?

Yes, it's wonderful watching 120lb girls loft a softball over the fence seemingly at will. However, watching the fielding (or lack there-of) tells me that athleticism has been lost in the process. The teams with the biggest hitters seem to be the weakest on defense.

-W
The mentality seems to be, As long as she drives in more runs with her bat then she lets in with her glove, shes good to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA