Practice Plans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone willing to share their practice plans. Girls have started high school ball 16U and I have some time to work on new practice plans for the three practices we will have prior to starting in June when High School ball is over. Running into doing the same thing over and over and over again so I thought I see what others do. I am getting board.....Need to mix it up a little add a little variety. 2hour practice time slot. These girls know how to play softball so it is more reps than anything....Looking to shake it up and make it more fun while learning something.

Mine usually consist of the following

1) 4 corners - both ways to work on reverse pivot
2) Cross fire - fast and fun balls flying everywhere
3) backhand - glove hand work
4) drop step IF and OF
5) OF consists of hitting fly balls and line shots as well as hard rollers - hitting cuts
6) work on the crow hop from the outfield
7) baserunning - leads, jumps, first step
8) front toss in the tunnel while we are working on OF - IF specific girls in the tunnel and then rotate
9) Usually end working on double play ball transfer, while outfiled works on taking correct first step in a competition of knockout.

I keep them moving but it has gotten so routine and boring.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Have you done any 2 ball drills? And how about adding 14 inch and 16 inch balls. They usually enjoy that.

And don't forget adding some elementary stuff, like throw the ball at a stuffed animal.

Jan 20, 2010
Have you done any 2 ball drills? And how about adding 14 inch and 16 inch balls. They usually enjoy that.

And don't forget adding some elementary stuff, like throw the ball at a stuffed animal.

Wow....Have not thrown a ball at a stuffed animal since 10-12U but the girls did have fun doing that. I could go find something of intrest that they would like to bean and tear apart.....Maybe strap my assistant to a chair with a glove and some duct tape

Jul 26, 2010
Hate crossfire. Only rarely is the ball thrown back to where it is hit in the game of softball. Throws should be practiced towards the direction first, and other bases, are in. There are some great team USA drills on youtube for infield practice. I've added and changed them over the years to create a progression that suits me, so feel free to embellish.

I also like stations, especially for hitting. Depending on the equipment and netting you have, the 2 ball 2 T drill works good. Basically you put up a screen or bownet "fence" splitting the diamond from home plate to the edge of the pitching circle, you have two coaches or players tossing from the front. Another screen on the outside of each "batters box" for a T. The batter on the T times the pitch to the hitter next to her and hits off a T, remaining girls are shagging. Rotate stations every 2 minutes. For bigger teams I add a bunt station or two. This works for live pitching off real pitchers too, which I recommend you do at least once a week for a 3 day practice cycle, twice for a 5 day cycle.

-W

Dec 3, 2008
You can up the ante on the four corners drill. Set cones at 20 ft and 40 ft up the baseline (and between home and 2B). 4 people at a time, player at home will not move, other players will. Start at 20 ft and go clockwise around the 20ft square. Right after they toss it, they run back to the 40ft cone and toss it again clockwise. Move back to 60 ft right after they toss it, throw it around the bases. Once it gets back to home plate she changes directions and goes counter clockwise around 60, after they throw they move into the 40 ft cones and go from 40, then 20 to finish. It's quick. It's a bunch of throws at different distance with different footwork, and it's easy to time and use as a competition. There's a youtube video of it I could find if that was confusing.

Oct 19, 2009
Wow....Have not thrown a ball at a stuffed animal since 10-12U but the girls did have fun doing that. I could go find something of intrest that they would like to bean and tear apart.....Maybe strap my assistant to a chair with a glove and some duct tape

I was walking through a flea market one time and came across this huge Poo-Bear bright yellow wearing a big red hat. I purchased it for a few dollars and then I found some cheap Poo-Bear toys, pencils, balloons, dolls, jump ropes and you get the ideal.

I started using him as a target for throwing contest one point for good throwing mechanics and another for hitting Poo-Bear the kids were 7-8 back then and found it fun. As they got older they were compative, but were a little embarrassed to receive a Poo-Bear toy and got some fun poked at them by the team.

You can improvise use a stuffed toy as a target for hitting from a tee, slapping and bunting.

I've had a few assistants I would like to have strapped to a chair for throwing practice myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission