Slippery Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
What do you do to improve the grip you get on a slippery ball?

Quite often the ball gets covered in dirt, dust, or water due to rain or sweat.

DD's jersey and pants are filthy after a game because she wipes the ball on them in an attempt to improve her grip. Can the pitcher take a towel to the mound? Can she call time and have to coach wipe the ball? What techniques do you see used when the ball gets slippery?

Feb 6, 2009

DD's jersey and pants are filthy after a game because she wipes the ball on them in an attempt to improve her grip. Can the pitcher take a towel to the mound? Can she call time and have to coach wipe the ball? What techniques do you see used when the ball gets slippery?

Have a rosin bag on the mound. Or a little spit will help. My DD has that issue and has a rosin bag with her
If the ball is slippery, she can ask for a new one.
If it's wet, they will always let her get a dry one.

Oct 3, 2009

Rosin .. my DD treats this rosin bag better than her cell phone which if you knew her is saying ALOT :)

Easton Baseball and Softball pro rock rosin bag Pitcher

Jun 18, 2010
Or a little spit will help.

That is funny... last night DD told me the ball was dusty and slippery. I told her to spit on her hands and rub the ball. She looked at me like I was from another planet. My son on the other hand, would have been spittin' away and thinking he was getting away with something.

Jul 26, 2010
Gorilla Grip cloths are also ASA legal, the pitcher is allowed to keep one in their pocket. Basically they're very tacky cloths that you can rub your fingers, hand, or ball on that "tackify" the gripping surfaces a bit. Great for rainy/wet days.

-W

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
That is funny... last night DD told me the ball was dusty and slippery. I told her to spit on her hands and rub the ball. She looked at me like I was from another planet. My son on the other hand, would have been spittin' away and thinking he was getting away with something.

DD got called for an illegal pitch, because, the ump claimed (from behind 3rd base), she touched her mouth and didn't wipe her hand before pitching. (Being a bit of a bacteria-phobe, she wouldn't do that if you paid her.)

Mar 13, 2010
You should beagle to take a cloth as long as it's small and can't be seen by the batter. I don't know US rules though.

Jan 27, 2010
It is my understanding that rock rosin is illegal for pitchers but can be used for bats. Powdered rosin and Gorilla Gold are approved. ASA refers to the published lists of approved drying agents but if you can find the list on their website you'll have better luck than me.

Feb 6, 2009

Md DD looks at me the same way lol

Jun 18, 2010
Got a Rawlings Rock Rosin Bag yesterday for DDs game last night. The Rosin Bag was the center of attention for two full innings as DD and her teammates applied rosin to anything and everything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g