How to get a better grip on the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2020
My dds middle school team plays their home games on a turf field and has practice on a dirt field. When my dd pitches on the dirt she gets a better grip on the ball than on the turf. She says she can use the dirt to get a better grip. She doesn't like playing on the turf due to her not being able to grip the ball well. She can't grab a handful of dirt and rub on her pants and ball. What do you all suggest her doing to increase the grip on the ball. I told her to lick her fingers and then wipe on the pants. That always gave me a better grip. She won't do that though. So what does everyone suggest? Game is tomarrow evening.

Apr 17, 2019
Rosin bag. Make sure it's not rock rosin though, that's illegal.
Also, Gorilla Gold towel - though I've run into issues with that with some umpires. It's not worth arguing over if you've got a guy that doesn't know the rules.

Jun 7, 2020
I didn't know there's a rock rosin. I assume it feels like rock salt in a bag? So I need to have a powdered rosin?

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Yes, and Gorilla Gold is legal in almost all organizations. I know it is in USA, USFA, USSSA.

Apr 17, 2019
Just pick it up, jiggle it. It'll coat her hand.
I think some rule sets require you wipe your hand on your pants before you touch the ball though.

Jun 22, 2019
Get a gorilla gold towel and keep in in a ziplock when not using. Cut it in half and put in her back pocket. Just grab or squeeze the towel when it’s getting slick.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I didn't know there's a rock rosin. I assume it feels like rock salt in a bag? So I need to have a powdered rosin?
You are correct. Rock rosin feels like rock salt in the bag and you need powdered. I had to order it online because all the local places carried rock.

Oct 13, 2017
Get some rock rosin, put it in a white cotton sock, beat the heck out of it with a hammer after you have tied a knot in the end of the sock. That's the best and cheapest way. My DD read the MLB did it that way.

You can also get a rosin bag from from Amazon for 8 or 10 bucks. It won't be as good as the homemade tho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee