Slapper defense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Hi coaches - can someone talk about their lefty slap defense strategies?

I'm talking 12u/14u with teams that are slapping and not really power slapping into the outfield.

Mar 13, 2010
One methord I've seen and I really like this, on a bunt situation (and a lefty who is going to slap would be the same) instead of having first and third come down, they go behind the line and second and short come in almost to the side of the pitcher. That way if it's bunted, they're nice and close, if it's slapped first and third have a chance at getting across if it's past second and short.

Sep 3, 2009
One methord I've seen and I really like this, on a bunt situation (and a lefty who is going to slap would be the same) instead of having first and third come down, they go behind the line and second and short come in almost to the side of the pitcher. That way if it's bunted, they're nice and close, if it's slapped first and third have a chance at getting across if it's past second and short.

That leaves an awful big hole behind the pitcher, a little pop over the pitcher's head becomes a single pretty easily. At 12/14u most of your slappers won't be super skilled slappers. Our coach has our LF plays up, 3B plays up like a bunt coverage but off the line a little more than normal, SS stays in pretty much usual position. CF plays up from normal spot, RF, 2B, and 1B play in typical spots. Almost all slappers at this level, the coach tells them to hit down the left.

Slap defense varies each scenerio, runners on base, # of outs yada-yada. With no outs or runners on base we typically move corners in tight keeping ss and 2b pinched in a little towards the middle and outfielders up. With a runner on 1st will keep 1b back, move up 2b just behind the rubber and 3b halfway up pinching ss towards 2nd normal depth. lf in even tighter to cover 3rd

Nov 1, 2009
The key is your pitching. If you have a pitcher who is good you can at least dictate the direction the ball is hit. I don't think you draw the middle of your defense in to field bunts because no matter how good you pitch the middle of the field can be in play. It is also a good idea to scout teams who play small ball exclusively and learn tendencies.

So far we haven't had too much difficulty with slappers playing straight up and won't be changing. Make sure you have a lot of practice time dedicated to handling bunts, and slap defense will take care of itself.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I (being a 3rd baseman) tend to hug the line a little bit (my pitchers have some gas) and I move in a little. Not so close that one could get by me but not too far back that I run out of time. In my experience all the slappers seem to put it right down the 3B line. I know that this is probably because they're still learning, because those college slappers can put it anywhere in the field.

That's just what I do from a 3B perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32