Slap Hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I think I'd rather give up the single to second than pulling the right fielder in.

Certainly some risk involved. But with no one on base, it's calculated. Pitch them away, let them try to pull a ball. Many will fail.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
We cover super wide, leave basically the entire middle open outside the pitcher and have center field crash as needed for 2nd base coverage. Shallower in left and right as well. "obviously if we know the slappers tendancies we adjust"

May 27, 2013
Certainly some risk involved. But with no one on base, it's calculated. Pitch them away, let them try to pull a ball. Many will fail.

I love when they do this to dd and they miss their spot. Easy IPHR. Or if they have great location she’ll just switch back to right side and put it over the OF head because they assume she can’t hit from the right side. Fun to watch!

May 27, 2013
I can't recall ever seeing a switch hitter in softball.

In HS, she did it quite often as the decision was left up to her. In travel and college, the coaches usually decided. If there were runners in scoring position or if she was struggling to put the ball in play against a certain pitcher from the left side they have given her the sign to hit from the right side or she would signal to them to ask to do it.

May 13, 2023
Particularly in the college levels,
If a batter was to step in the Box as a lefty slapper and the defense made some sort of *shift for it. Then during the at-bat the batter switched to the right side...
Cannot imagine that the defense would *not readjust for a right-handed batter.
(readjust to normal defensive positioning for the now right handed batter)

Because they were aware enough to utilize a strategy for the lefty. It would seem they would be aware enough to readjust when it was unnecessary/ not going to serve it same purpose.

However do know batters that can hit from either side. But they make that decision before getting in the box and stay there finishing the at bat.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
If she struggled in her first or second at bat from the left side or if the situation called for it, she’d sometimes switch to the right side the next at bat. The IF would either play her normal depth or assume she was going to bunt. The OF usually would stay pretty shallow because, what I’m learning from posters on here, a switch hitter is a rarity in SB and they don’t think a lefty slapper can hit well from the right side.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Switch hitters are less common in baseball now, too. They're even less common in softball because of the lack of sidearm deliveries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA