Slap Hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
If she struggled in her first or second at bat from the left side or if the situation called for it, she’d sometimes switch to the right side the next at bat. The IF would either play her normal depth or assume she was going to bunt. The OF usually would stay pretty shallow because, what I’m learning from posters on here, a switch hitter is a rarity in SB and they don’t think a lefty slapper can hit well from the right side.

Honestly, in high school ball and travel I'm not even sure we'd notice. :)

We play so many teams with so many girls and so many pick-up players that there are times I'm not even aware when the lead-off batter is up again.

Oct 4, 2018
I think you are also learning that many "baseball guys" get big mad about slapping because it doesn't exist in baseball so should not be a part of softball.

It's not that, I don't think. It's that we watch slappers do badly so often. We don't like our players to ground out every single at bat. Slapping simply doesn't work for many slappers - that's what we don't like.

Like several said above, often the dying breath of a softball player is when they're told "you should try slapping" as a response to the fact that she's not hitting well from the right side. So they spend a few years trying slapping, are often given a spot near the top of the order, and that doesn't go well.

That said, we have two on our team who do great. We/I appreciate those that do it well.

I was at a Carolina-dook game last year and Carolina was down by two, bottom of seventh, one out and a runner on first. Girl tries a drag bunt and it's fouled back. I'm thinking to myself "what on Earth are you doing?". Next pitch, same thing.

Turns out the girl was standing on first base before the pitcher even fielded the ball. My jaw was on the floor. I've never seen someone that fast. And with that kind of speed (and results), just get the ball in play.

Oct 4, 2018
Having never faced a fastpitch pitcher, I asked a few people I knew that played. They said it never mattered if the pitcher was a righty or lefty. It didn't seem like the tactical advantage of being able to "hide" the ball longer was a thing.

Yup.

My DD barely notices, remembers or cares if the opposing pitcher is righty or lefty. She has no preference, no change in her swing or approach. It's such a non-factor that it's hard for me to even explain platoon players in baseball to her. "Only gets to hit against lefties? How weird?" :p

May 13, 2023
Herein lies the importance of what the word slapper is describing.
( as an umbrella word)
Slapper does not always mean driving the ball into the ground. It has a diverse usefulness to a mechanic that is called slapping. Perhaps this is where the better words of Triple Threat come into value.

imo when someone says slapper
my brain does not always go to
they ONLY drive the ball into the ground.

Oct 4, 2018
Herein lies the importance of what the word slapper is describing.
( as an umbrella word)
Slapper does not always mean driving the ball into the ground. It has a diverse usefulness to a mechanic that is called slapping. Perhaps this is where the better words of Triple Threat come into value.

imo when someone says slapper
my brain does not always go to
they ONLY drive the ball into the ground.

Yeah, but "triple threat" is a bit of a trendy thing to say. I've heard people use it who truly don't know what it means (other than it's really good). Also, I've heard people use it on girls that are double threats or single threats.

And bunting is lame

May 27, 2013
Yeah, but "triple threat" is a bit of a trendy thing to say. I've heard people use it who truly don't know what it means (other than it's really good). Also, I've heard people use it on girls that are double threats or single threats.

And bunting is lame

Yeah. I always just used the term “slapper” because I assumed all were taught to be a triple threat. It wasn’t until here that I realized there was a difference.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah. I always just used the term “slapper” because I assumed all were taught to be a triple threat. It wasn’t until here that I realized there was a difference.

... and honestly, it's hard to distinguish sometimes. Is she a good bunter? Sure. Well, compared to what? I mean most any slapper who is 14U or higher can bunt, can hit, can slap. And there's a threat that they might do any of them well in any one at bat. At what point can you say you're officially a "triple threat"? I don't know. I can see why all of them (and their parents) think they are.

May 13, 2023
... and honestly, it's hard to distinguish sometimes. Is she a good bunter? Sure. Well, compared to what? I mean most any slapper who is 14U or higher can bunt, can hit, can slap. And there's a threat that they might do any of them well in any one at bat. At what point can you say you're officially a "triple threat"? I don't know. I can see why all of them (and their parents) think they are.
At what point>>> SPEED

Think triple threat is better than saying slapper.

Hmmm 🤔 replace 'slapper' with~

'option' batters
'alternative' batters

Anyone Got a better word?

Oct 4, 2018
At what point>>> SPEED
Think triple threat is better than saying slapper.

Hmmm 🤔 replace 'slapper' with~

'option' batters
'alternative' batters

Got a better word?

Triple threat means: 1) bunt, 2) slap, and 3) hit

We all agree that's what it means?

And honestly, I kind of expect any and all slappers to be able to do all three. Perhaps that's unfair of me. The most vague, perhaps, is "hit". Does that mean they aren't doing the leg crossover don't step out of the box thing? Just batting like a traditional lefty? Or does it mean that they can drive the ball to the gaps, even hit HRs at times?

Our slappers have power and drive the ball often. In fact, they do that more than dinks and bloops and certainly more than bunts. Perhaps they are just slappers and not triple threats.

But yes, they are fast.

Personally, I think the term slapper is best. It accurately describes what I'm going to see in their at bat.

Other goofy terms I've heard:

Power Slap
Chop Slap
Slappy McSlaps-a-lot
Half Slap
Caffeine-free Half Slap
Soft Slap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member