Slap Hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
The data is managing to the averages to maximize potential runs scored. And while I may not be able to fully wrap my head around why a double is functionally different than a single and stolen base is different, the game plays out the way it does. Situational awareness and knowing you have someone that is exceptional in a skill can override a baseline analytics decision. Yet it can also explain why the overall trend is moving toward or away from something because the average player is not exceptional at anything.
I think has to do with runners on base. Runner on first a double probably scores the run leaving a runner on 2nd. An infield hit runners1-2 no ability to steal.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
GOOD, keep them cheatn outta the box slappers out of the game :cool::p Seriously though, they should be called out half the time they make contact.
This is another aspect of being a threat as a slapper that doesn't get worked or called. Staying in the box. I might even venture based on my experience, many slappers are almost always out of the box when they contact the ball. I could just never get the home plate umpire to call it. That's a difficult "see" for the umpire. Pretty sure I couldn't watch for that AND call balls and strikes.

I think slappers should be assessed a strike or two penalty for walking up to the box and casually disturbing the batters box chalk. :ROFLMAO: The prevalence of turf fields may be another reason for the decline of slappers. Can't mess with those painted batters boxes! :p

May 13, 2023
I think slappers should be assessed a strike or two penalty for walking up to the box and casually disturbing the batters box chalk. :ROFLMAO:
That's an excellent topic!
Why is that allowed hmmm🤔?!
Kind of like kicking a rule out of the way...
😏🥳

The prevalence of turf fields may be another reason for the decline of slappers. Can't mess with those painted batters boxes! :p
Haaaha

Jul 11, 2023
If you enforce obscuring the front of the box, you're gonna have to do it for the back line too. So I think it gets left alone. HA!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't know if anybody mentioned speed needed to be an effective slapper. 2.9 home to 1st absolute minimum. 2.7 or less preferred.
SMH when I see 3.2 players slapping. If a slapper with hopes of playing in college is 3.2 home to 1st someone needs to honestly tell them they are wasting their time and money.
Time to hit away.

Apr 14, 2022
You are a genius. :)

Yea, if my DD is going to swing, she's going for doubles. Sometimes will get HRs, sometimes singles, sometimes outs. Line drives to the gaps is what we strive for. And yes, she's changed a few games with one swing. A timely HR or 2-3 RBI double. Often when it fails it's still a Sac Fly.

We have two good slappers on the team. They are near the top of our team in BA and they're fast and exciting to watch. It's a nice mix with the 2-3 power hitters and 4-5 contact hitters we have. Softball/baseball is a nice lesson in "it takes all types to make a team".
There is also the emotional side I always overlook. I have seen games turn on a relative meaningless smoked ball. Like a two out double down by 3 runs, or a solo shot down by 4. All of a sudden the team that could not hit can’t get out.
Mainly in the younger ages, but have even seen it at the college level.
Much like a diving catch, a great throw, striking out the best hitter with runners on, etc.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I also think defenses lining up properly and daring slappers to go up the middle has helped stop those cheating slappers as well!:D
Seen some shifts recently where there is no RFer at all. RFer comes in to play 2nd base and 2nd baseman floods the left side. You can do this with accurate pitchers throwing only low and away.

Jun 29, 2023
Seen some shifts recently where there is no RFer at all. RFer comes in to play 2nd base and 2nd baseman floods the left side. You can do this with accurate pitchers throwing only low and away.
I think I'd rather give up the single to second than pulling the right fielder in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid