Slap Hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
lol, I apparently fell rear end backwards into a good point by bringing up Juan Pierre. I didn't see that coming. I'm gonna pat myself on the back like I'm some genius, but thank you to those who used his stat lines to make the real argument.

Logically it makes a ton of sense. I still don't know that I like it. I like people that can get on base. But hitting is hard. So stringing a bunch of hits together to reward a singles hitter is even harder. The more you can control your own destiny with power and extra base hits, the better.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
lol, I apparently fell rear end backwards into making a good point by bringing up Juan Pierre. I didn't see that coming.

Logically it makes a ton of sense. I still don't know that I like it. I like people that can get on base. But hitting is hard. So stringing a bunch of hits together to reward a singles hitter is even harder. The more you can control your own destiny with power and extra base hits, the better.
It was a great point. When asked if he could hit 500, Babe Ruth said yes, "But I get paid to hit home runs."

Jul 11, 2023
@LEsoftballdad you will have to requote me. I edited my post to add more sarcasm since I really didn't make a point. I name dropped a guy who occasionally used a tool to get on base. Y'all out here doing the real work.

Nov 5, 2014
This is the answer. Even when the shift was legal there was little motivation to bunt/slap for a hit.

Doubles or better is the goal.
In baseball

There have been many very successful pure slap hitters in softball.

Edit to add:

With the advances in bats even pure slap hitters can hit for more power than in the past. Not unusual to see balls slapped to the fence these days.

May 17, 2012
In baseball

Edit to add:

With the advances in bats even pure slap hitters can hit for more power than in the past. Not unusual to see balls slapped to the fence these days.

Are you slapping for a double? Read the other posts about run expectancy. The math is still the same...

May 13, 2023
This perspective~

Moving the feet
Feet in progress
Transitioning feet
Advancing feet
Engaging movement of the body

Can be part of hitting mechanics.

What can be done with the bat,
swing, slap/slash, punch, drive, bunt, drag,
can be done from either side of the box.

The left batters box is simply closer to first base.
* Measure what that Advantage is.

Jul 11, 2023
I think it's important to note that I don't get the vibe that most people are saying those hitters were unsuccessful. They were good at what they were asked to do. And even celebrated in different eras where different approaches were valued more.

But when you apply current analytics, it's suggested that while you had great success, perhaps it could have been even better if you applied a different approach.

And I still believe a lot of these things have situational value that the charts just can't discern. But they don't always make a great foundation.

Nov 5, 2014
Are you slapping for a double? Read the other posts about run expectancy. The math is still the same...
No but analytics also put a high value on getting to 1st base. OBP is highly valued. I look at a pure slapper like India Chiles, in her senior year she had an OBP of over 500 and a slugging of 501. So an OPS over 1000 which I think most analytics would consider very good especially relative to her era. She did that without hitting many doubles as her BA was 459 so a slugging of 501 does not include many extra base hits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1