showcase strategy - pet peeve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
I know in advance that I'll get flamed for this, second guessing a coach and all, but I have to vent. Three weeks ago we were at a showcase with many college coaches on hand. My daughter had the defensve game of her life. At the plate she had a solid single and two harmless groundouts to second. But a contributing factor to the groundouts was that the coach was playing this like an ordinary tournament game. Runner on 2 the first time and runners on 2 and 3 the second time, both with less than two outs. On both occasions he had her "fake bunt" for the first couple of pitches so she's in an 0-2 hole. Then he puts the contact play on, so my daughter does her job and hits ground balls to advance the runners. But all I can think of is holy cow there are 5 college coaches watching. She's the best hitter on the team - let the girl hit!! I know, I know. Only thinking of my daughter and not the team. I'm not a team player. i'm selfish. Whatever. I mean they weren't even keeping score. i've seen enough college coaches post on various forums to know that they do not want to see sacrifice bunts, etc. at showcases. They have traveled a long way to see the girls hit, so coaches should let the girls hit. ok, end of rant. That was cathartic, and now I'm ready to take my medicine. Bring it on. :)

Oh, and a little shameless bragging. My DD made two "highlight reel" plays at third in the one game with all the coaches in attendance. Directly after the second one, an SEC (!!) coach walked up and grabbed one of our team recruiting brochures. Could have been a coincidence, of course, but it was cool. :) Another showcase this weekend...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The college coaches also look to see if your DD is coachable and is able to do what the coach calls for. She did and good for her.

Apr 6, 2012
I am not going to flame you, I'm just going to say this. Yes, college coaches want to see kids hit. Yes, your coach should have let your daughter hit. But, college coaches also know that your daughter will do what she is asked to do. If the coaches watched warm ups, they saw her swing. If the coaches saw the single, they saw her hit. Obviously she played defense. Relax. All is well.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Haha, you sound like me replaying the what ifs over a weekend. Problem is the what ifs don't always play out in real life like we see them in our mind.

He was probably going for a steal situation pulling the defense in while forcing the catcher to stay back. Plus the obstruction of view of the catcher. I'm assuming the plan just never unfolded enough for the play to happen.

I wouldn't lose a bunch of sleep over it. Live to fight another day!!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Atlantabell is right. Also, one coach (also an SEC coach) told my daughter that they don't care if all she does is strike out when they're watching her. They look at pitch selection and mechanics. Maybe he was exaggerating a bit, but you get the point.

Aug 29, 2012
Attitude and effort will trump a great day statiscally. Almost all players have a great attitude when things are going well. But, its the attitude of those when things aren't going well that separates them from the rest.

Was at a showcase last fall and DD's team was facing a D1 recruit pitcher. Her defense made 2 untimely errors and we ended up winning the game. After the game I overheard the college coach speaking to someone that she was glad to finally see her lose a game. She commented that she liked her attitude being the same as when she was winning.

So don't sweat the coaching moves. They can see the things that they want in a player.

Sep 18, 2011
I am not going to flame you, I'm just going to say this. Yes, college coaches want to see kids hit. Yes, your coach should have let your daughter hit. But, college coaches also know that your daughter will do what she is asked to do. If the coaches watched warm ups, they saw her swing. If the coaches saw the single, they saw her hit. Obviously she played defense. Relax. All is well.

Relax?? You tell me to relax?? How can I relax when DD's coach just cost her a full 4 year scholarship to a big time program with his silly fake bunts and contact plays??!! And since it was an SEC school, there goes my new SUV!! Now that she won't play big time college ball, she probably won't get to sign that multi million dollar contract to play pro softball. And of course the even more luctrative endorsement deals are now gone forever, too. Ruin and destruction everywhere!! Relax??!! :)

Sep 18, 2011
Ok, being serious again, here's what I read on a different forum (OFC). Of course it's just one coach's opinion, but this is what he had to say (the relevant part is #6, although in retrospect it's not exactly on point, but what the heck this is MY thread):

As a college coach, I am speaking only for myself, but you guys have mentioned most of what I want to see. I like....

1. Set schedule for as much of the tournament as possible. Don't start games early (hello, Colorado Fireworks).

2. Liberal lineup rules and unspoken agreements between coaches to allow pretty much anything in pool play. I watched one girl bat 6 times in 3 innings last year at a tournament out west because they knew I needed to see her and this was my only shot.

3. A format that allows for brackets to be filled out earlier rather than later. I don't want to have to wait until midnight on Friday or Saturday night along with the travel team coaches to find out bracket play matchups. So forget the 1 thru 32 seeding and just have seeding based on how a team does in its pool. In other words, you know from the start that if you finish 2nd in Pool A, you will start bracket play at a time certain.

4. Many tournaments ask for a cell number and e-mail from college coaches when we register. Therefore, if there is a rain delay for the whole tournament or some other tournament-wide change, include us in on the communication. This almost never happens and we're left to call travel coach friends to get information.

5. Make sure whoever is working the gate knows to let us in on Friday when we first arrive. This is rarely a problem, but a pain when it does come up.

6. As many above said, in pool play, please don't sac bunt. I wouldn't yell like the one coach did, but rest assured it's exactly what I'm thinking. I used to see girls sac bunting at the Queen of Diamonds showcase, which made zero sense since it made no difference at all who won the games. And along with that, if it's a fast girl and she reaches base, let her run! Also with a fast girl, tell her to run one out 100% to first base, even if she hits a foul ball, so that we can time her.

7. Coaches, be aware of which colleges your players are talking with, and keep an eye out for which colleges are in attendance and try to play those girls if it's a pool play game. Most teams out west have a designated coach or parent apporach college coaches and will then inform the head coach of which player(s) the college coach wants to see. Most teams get the girl in right away if she's not already playing.

8. I do like seeing players play on occasion in meaningful games, so I usually stick around through most of Sunday.

9. Finally, every so often there is a field where it's hard to get a good view, especially behind the backstop to see pitchers. On such fields, I always thought I'd love to see tournaments reserve a small area for college coaches.

Last edited by JoeA1010; 07-14-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi