Showcase question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD started playing in her first showcase last night. It's being played out on two parks. Played last night had a few coaches from smaller D1s and a couple of D2s watching. So this morning we are at the other field. I have a feeling that the B teams are over here (although they played an A last night). Is that pretty normal for those who have experienced these before?

Also heard the coach if the team we were playing last night tell his parents that only "rinky-dink" coaches were out last night an none of his girls should even entertain a potential offer if one was presented at this time. Big D1 or nothing, I guess. Although I would argue any of that team was good enough. That org has put some great players into big D1 schools, but talk about having a monster ego...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Also heard the coach if the team we were playing last night tell his parents that only "rinky-dink" coaches were out last night an none of his girls should even entertain a potential offer if one was presented at this time. Big D1 or nothing, I guess. Although I would argue any of that team was good enough. That org has put some great players into big D1 schools, but talk about having a monster ego...

Yea, sounds like the coach is interested more to be able to list "schools" on the online site or resume of his org, rather than getting his players a good college fit for acedemics or fields of study.

And you bring up a very good point. One of the things you need to do as a team is converse with the TB coach schools you're interested in, according to the education. Probably would even be good to write that information down to make it easier for him/her to keep up with.

Look, everyone dreams of big D1 schools and playing sports. It's freaking hard for the sport schedule they keep and keeping up academically. Unless your majoring in underwater basket weaving. My nephew will sign next month D1, they have 7 full time professors who fly/travel with them on the road just to keep their grades up. ( now think about how many D1 schools don't, and you're on your own )

Don't let some coach get in your mind about what level college ball you decide on. All you need to drive your decision is what's the best $$$ offer you get, a good degree or skill, and how that is going to get you into the job market to start your career and adult life.

DD is pretty level headed when it comes to that. She is looking at Juco, NAIA - D1. The only huge school she would love to attend is Florida State because a bunch of our family went there an she grew up a Noles fan. Highly unlikely she would wind up there. At 14, she has a pretty good idea about what she wants to do so her schools match that. She's not bent about playing at the top because she'll be going pro in her career and not softball.

When she heard the comment by the coach, she turned to me and said, "that's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard." That made me smile.

IMO it is a good thing that so many parents and college students-to-be are hung up on the idea that the "Big School" is always better.
It leaves great opportunities for my kids to go NAIA, D2, D3 or lower level D1.
Many of these smaller schools have tougher entrance requirements, graduate at higher rates, and their graduates get hired at higher rates. Another advantage is that once they get into school, ball is not the highest priority, their education is. Not to keep up the GPA of the team /athletic department, but because education is why they are there in the first place.

Jul 26, 2010
You can't be both level-headed and want to go to FSU. Pick one!

That said, it's pretty normal for tournaments to have one facility or field where most of the coaches/scouts hang out. This is where having an established team/organization helps, because those are the teams that get to play at those fields. Due to the nature of tournaments, many less known teams get to play the well known teams, and will often brag about how many coaches were present. I can promise you though, that if none of your kids invited the coaches to see them or sent their profiles, that they weren't being watched.

Sounds like your daughter has a pretty good head about her. I wouldn't put too much stock in the coaches comments. If she's getting the coaches she invites out to see her, then she's doing it right.

Oh, and go Gators.

-W

Yeah, we just got jacked up by a team from Oklahoma. I wish I was the size of most of the girls on that team. Big and they just hit gap after gap. About 5 coaches showed up to see that game. My guess is a lot of coaches are checking that team out.

I knew it was a matter of time before I came across a lizard in the forum ;). The football team is looking legit this season. November's game should e a riot.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Yeah, we just got jacked up by a team from Oklahoma. I wish I was the size of most of the girls on that team. Big and they just hit gap after gap. About 5 coaches showed up to see that game. My guess is a lot of coaches are checking that team out.

I knew it was a matter of time before I came across a lizard in the forum ;). The football team is looking legit this season. November's game should e a riot.

What was the name of the team? We are an Oklahoma team and we have been lit up by a lot of bigger girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207