Pulled my DD off her second year 10u travel ball team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
did this whacko coach at least roster bat? and Honestly, it's really not that hard to get every player into the field in every game. Rotating starters etc. UNLESS, the coach is one that fills roster with bodies just to pay dues and sit there until player in maybe needed.

Can't imagine doing that to my 18u teams, let alone younger where the need reps to still learn how the game works, awareness, etc.

Glad you pulled her and moved on.

Jan 7, 2020
I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. We made the move to another team who's coach has been wanting her on his team since last year. Yesterday was her first practice on her new team, this weekend will be her first tournament with them. I had a conversation last night with my DD, she is more hurt about leaving her friends then she is about leaving the team. She understands the reason we had to make the move. Thank you again for all the input. yall made this decision so much easier. :)

Nov 1, 2022
You did the right thing OP.

Different coaches value players differently. My DD was on a few different very high level A teams. There were coaches who had their mind set on who the “players” were, and there were coaches who develop players (even at 18u). My kid is a pitcher, so no issues there, but on that team, if you were on the team you played.

There are managers and there are coaches.

I guess my point is don’t sell yourself short on “A” ball, you might just need to find a real coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you hit on something very important here. Player development. If your coach/coaches are not putting in the work to develop players then what are they here for? I would hope they do more than fill out line up lists and give signals to steal or bunt for example. In my opinion, if a coach isn't teaching everything they know about the game to their players then find a better one.

Oct 4, 2018
I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. We made the move to another team who's coach has been wanting her on his team since last year. Yesterday was her first practice on her new team, this weekend will be her first tournament with them. I had a conversation last night with my DD, she is more hurt about leaving her friends then she is about leaving the team. She understands the reason we had to make the move. Thank you again for all the input. yall made this decision so much easier. :)

What's pretty cool is that she'll make new softball friends. And keep most of the old ones. It'll get to be that you go to a tourney one day and over half the girls are her friends.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All kids to go TB because they want to play the game. If you aren't playing why be on the team at 10.
Hmmm'...maybe all kids go to travel ball because they want to play. But I think there might be other reasons also attached to that. Like where their friends are playing 🤷‍♀️

Along with that there are people playing 10U travel ball who have a greater purpose than just equal playing time, like wanting to win.
imo would never underestimate that there are young people who understand wanting to win. And understand earning a spot over equal playing time.
( regardless of goal of winning)

Best thing is that there are options for people who want to make a decision that best fits why they're involved in softball. There is no need to complain about what goals a coach, player or family choose to do when they have a choice to find a better fit.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Having switched teams at the end of the summer season for just the second time since 10U (and now playing 18s), my only advice for you or for anyone would be to go where your DD is wanted, where she gets ample playing time, and where she enjoys the experience with her coaches and teammates…whatever level that is.

This ride goes really fast and despite the showcase industrial complex the vast majority of girls will not play in college at any level, not necessarily because they can’t but because they choose not to. As such, it is very important that they enjoy being where they are right now and that they get as much out of the experience as they can before they stop playing.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This ride goes really fast and despite the showcase industrial complex the vast majority of girls will not play in college at any level, not necessarily because they can’t but because they choose not to. .
FB told me 5 years ago today my DD committed to her college team. Crazy how time flies. We have all seen the stat how about how few HS players go on to play college softball.

My experience tells me the % of players who stick with TB will end up on college roster is very high. High level teams all the way down to the Hittin' Kittens. 80-90% for all teams. High Level programs I would venture to say it's 100%. If you track those same players all the way through college to Senior year the % falls off a cliff. Out of the 9 Sr's from DD TB team only 2 are still playing. The other player's route, Juco, D1 in the NE, now D2 in state. Getting committed is easy, playing 4 years is the challenge!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee