Run-Rule BLOWOUTS IN COLLEGE BALL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There's no point where things shifted drastically, but 2010 was certainly significant That was the year that Hawaii made the WCWS and set the record for HR in a season amid allegations of 'hot' (but legal) bats.

Why I am not much of a statistics only person.
The chart that you posted Does show an increase in numbers.

Somebody else will have to do the calculation on how much those increase numbers actually produce what amount of more number of home runs. Etc.

@Greatdaytobeawildcat posted a graph that does show an increase at Long Beach State. I have researched and seen that similar Trend at other colleges some teams having a lot of more wins that are blowouts and some teams that are having a lot more losses that are blow out.
Commented earlier teams having a third of their games being blowouts.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Why I am not much of a statistics only person. The chart that you posted does show an increase in numbers.

Somebody else will have to do the calculation on how much those increase numbers actually produce what amount of more number of home runs. Etc.

Great day to be a wildcat posted a graph that does show an increase at Long Beach State. And I know I have researched and seen that similar Trend at a lot of other colleges some teams having a lot of more wins that are blowouts and some teams that are having a lot more losses that are blow out.

There's no question that offense has risen since the '80s and '90s and even '00s. But it hasn't continued to rise in the past 5 years. In fact, it has decreased in a little in recent years.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
@Greatdaytobeawildcat posted a graph that does show an increase at Long Beach State. I have researched and seen that similar Trend at other colleges some teams having a lot of more wins that are blowouts and some teams that are having a lot more losses that are blow out.
Commented to having a third of their games being blowouts.

Also, it's possible to have an increase in blowouts without an increase in total runs scored. So the chart that I posted doesn't indicate whether blowouts are on the rise or not. Just indicates that if they're more common since 2015, it's not because of more runs scored. It's more likely because teams aren't as evenly matched (less parity) or teams aren't scheduling as much 'like' competition (ie, nobody good wants to play Oklahoma unless they have to.) I'd also feel pretty confident in saying that it has nothing to do with lack of intestinal fortitude among today's players, as has been suggested. :)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There's no question that offense has risen since the '80s and '90s and even '00s. But it hasn't continued to rise in the past 5 years. In fact, it has decreased in a little in recent years.
imo 5 years is not a reflection of softball over the years. that is inclusive of what's been happening with the blowouts.

That is an example of what people in five years know to be normal. So to speak.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Also, it's possible to have an increase in blowouts without an increase in total runs scored. So the chart that I posted doesn't indicate whether blowouts are on the rise or not. Just indicates that if they're more common since 2015, it's not because of more runs scored.
Yeah can't see everything in charts.

It's more likely because teams aren't as evenly matched
⬆️⚠️

(less parity) or teams aren't scheduling as much 'like' competition (ie, nobody good wants to play Oklahoma unless they have to.)
Interesting to OU crushing opponents, the teams that I was referring to I didn't look at the top 20 teams in the nation. See the trend across different regions.

I'd also feel pretty confident in saying that it has nothing to do with lack of intestinal fortitude among today's players, as has been suggested. :)
Well there are some teams that do look defeated on the field.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Well there are some teams that do look defeated on the field.

I'm skeptical, but your observation skills are probably better than mine.

I agree w/ you on the chart. It's purpose wasn't to dispute the assertion that there are more blowouts. It was just meant to say that if blowouts are more common compared to 2010 or 2015, it doesn't have anything to do with hitters overpowering pitchers, as there were actually fewer runs scored in 2021 than 2011. However, it would stand to reason that there are more blowouts now than in the '90s because it was harder in those days to score 8 runs, the minimum necessary to get a run rule.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Actually I'm not referring to that many years ago I'm referring to in recent time it has been noticeable.

Generally I don't follow only the top 20 teams.
I take a look at different colleges that my students are interested in going to, which includes the performance of those colleges in the past couple few years and look at the colleges that they end up going to and follow some of those teams and look up what the schedule looks like their competition played, from that it became more noticeable to me.

Didn't follow Long Beach State at all yet can see the trend there.
Not surprised because it's happening elsewhere too.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
I'm watching Georgia score 12 runs in the first inning vs. LSU, which scored 3 runs in the top half. While the total number of runs scored in D-I softball hasn't changed much the past few years, I wonder if it's increasing among the top teams, meaning Power 5, top-25 teams, etc. That's where the best hitters play, and it just seems that once you've reached a threshhold as a hitter, only the best pitchers can shut them down. The fences are not that hard to reach for these hitters, and they're up and down the lineup. LSU and Georgia have a bunch of decent pitchers, but not elite, so these deep lineups can pound them when they're hot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse