Should tell a dad his DD doesn't want to pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
I'm an AC on DD's team (this is 12U rec). There's a girl on our team who is new this season. She was telling my daughter at practice today that she doesn't want to pitch, but her dad is paying for pitching lessons, so she's afraid to tell him. I don't know the dad very well at all - I've talked to him a few times at games but that's it. Should I say something to him? I don't want to overstep because it really isn't any of my business, and my daughter pitches so it might look like I'm trying to get rid of the competition (I don't think he would take it that way since this is rec, but you never know). On the other hand, if I was spending money on lessons for my daughter for something she doesn't want to do, I'd like to know so I'm not wasting the money.

I'm definitely leaning on the "don't say anything" side, but I'd to get other opinions.

Oct 2, 2015
I'd tell him...
It could get to the point where the DD completely hates playing the game and could quit all together.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I would tell him. We're adults...should be able to talk to each other. Also, there have been times I regretted not speaking up, and more often than not everyone feels better after talking. You never know....bringing this out in the open might help his DD talk to her parents about some other issue later on in life.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend saying something like "are you sure your DD 100% committed to pitching?"

Pitching is not for everyone and if you and your DD are not 100% committed it usually will not end well. I would rather find out early before I spent a lot of time, money and effort trying to develop a pitcher. One the other hand, some kids just need an extra "push" to get them over the hump to become proficient enough to enjoy it. A lot of kids give up to easy when things do not come naturally.

May 16, 2016
As assistant coach, who's DD is also pitching, you should stay out of it. If you are so concerned, mention it to Head Coach, not the father. Head coach will probably have to explain it eventually when Dad comes asking why his kid never pitches.

Even if she is telling you she doesn't want to pitch, she may be saying opposite at home. Maybe she doesn't want to pitch until she's had more lessons, and is more confident?

Jun 12, 2015
Unless you heard what she said with your own ears, don't say anything. My daughter said that your daughter said... is really just gossip. I agree with mentioning it to the head coach then let him deal with it if necessary.