Should pitching instructors only be pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Certainly there are things such as you describe that are learned from experience. No question. OTOH, instructor X might have a much better understanding of what is really happening in a windmill motion and be much better able to teach it even though they never played. Not necessarily of course but the list of elite performers who could not teach their particular skill is endless. Find the best mechanics teacher for Tammy ten year old you can find regardless of whether or not they played. As she ages, she should pick the brain of every elite pitcher she can. That first teacher needs to be someone who she enjoys or at least who doesn't make it miserable for her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am not saying that an instructor is someone that hasn't played the game. I haven't seen someone like that. Are you saying that Ernie Parker never played anything, not even baseball?

I am just saying that I don't need to pitch a 60 mph fastball to teach little girls the game of softball. I teach the complete game, while I am giving them their pitching lesson. I also tell them that I am not the absolute authority. And that they should take a little bit from each person in their softball career and make it fit for them.

I have had the Physics and Anatomy and the Kinesiology classes way back in college and I could never figure out why I needed them. I wish someone would have told me.

Aug 21, 2008
Find the best mechanics teacher for Tammy ten year old you can find regardless of whether or not they played.

Bigboyk... the swimlessons from a guy in a life jacket is hilarious.

Mark, as you may know, this is where I differ with many others, although your sentence could be interpreted multiple ways. Many people believe that pitching mechanics are a personal thing and what works for Sally may not work for Jane. But the reality is, our bodies are designed to work a certain way. Someone who is not teaching the body to work in it's most optimal way is not teaching correctly, IMHO. The top pitchers in the world, males and females, get themselves into virtually the exact same positions. The manner in which they get into those positions is often unique to the individual. But the positions themselves are non-negotiable. I am not saying that someone who has never pitched before cannot teach these positions and know what to look for. But it's baffling to me how many people teach the opposite of what the best pitchers are actually doing mechanically. Personally, I believe this is because far too many people have 'dumbed down' our idea of success to an extent.

Amy, in answer to your question, I was once told that Ernie played softball in his church league back in his youth. I'm unsure if he pitched but for some reason "playing 2nd base" is ringing a bell for me. So maybe he played 2nd. I don't know.

Bill

Oct 19, 2009
IMO, experience is the best teacher, pitching is not just the physical, technical requirements, it's also the mental approach. I believe in order to convey that required mental appraoch it would help if you have been on the mound pitching to the number three batter with two on in a close game.

A lot of baseball pitcher's have had that experience. It's not unique to fastpitch.

Attachments

• VID00010 _2__0004 - Copy.jpg
    VID00010 _2__0004 - Copy.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 21
  • VID00011 _1__0001.jpg
    VID00011 _1__0001.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 17
  • VID00011 _1__0002.jpg
    VID00011 _1__0002.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 16
Oct 15, 2009
I have seen the progression of my DD from 9yrs old to 13yrs old. It would be easy to instruct a 9yr old beginning pitcher but as the pitcher progresses the teacher must be able to progress as well. If you have never pitched it would be hard to train a 13 or 15 yr old girl to perform at a higher level. IMO, experience in the circle would be necessary to help an advanced pitcher, and you can't get experience from a video or website. I believe a lot of people claim to be pitching instructors but only a very few are qualified to make that statement.

Jun 6, 2009
I have seen the progression of my DD from 9yrs old to 13yrs old. It would be easy to instruct a 9yr old beginning pitcher but as the pitcher progresses the teacher must be able to progress as well. If you have never pitched it would be hard to train a 13 or 15 yr old girl to perform at a higher level. IMO, experience in the circle would be necessary to help an advanced pitcher, and you can't get experience from a video or website. I believe a lot of people claim to be pitching instructors but only a very few are qualified to make that statement.

What would be your definition of an advanced pitcher ?

May 7, 2008
DFW
Nothing new here.

Big,

I have read this argument on other web boards more than once. With many of the same individuals involved. Ernie knows how to teach. There are others out there like him who have been around the game long enough to understand the principles of pitching. Even if they were not pitchers. More so they understand the principles of communication and teaching.

Pitching is not rocket science. It isnt easy either. The work ethic of a pitcher determines a lot about their success. The same applies to their coach. If a coach is working hard to make the DD a great pitcher it will show when she goes out to pitch. Its on the playing field where the rubber hits the road.

One of my students just went out and pitched a perfect game in fall HS ball this past week. She works hard on her game. I work hard for her. Together we must be doing something right for her to pitch a perfect game.

The most important message I give to each and everyone of my students is NEVER STOP LEARNING. That applies to coaches too.

Oh yeah. I did play, but I never pitched. :eek:

Dana.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Mental Game

Having experienced competitive situations is no doubt valuable, but why do pro golfers, MLB teams, or superagents like Boras employ the services of sports psychologists?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
2 Instructor Requirements

1. Knowledge
2. Effective communication skills

The best instructors/teachers must have both. Period.

1. requires an in depth understanding and an openness to continually assess what you think you know i.e., learn

2. requires the ability to identify and adapt to different learning styles in order to convey that knowledge with clarity i.e., one size does not fit all. (This is why some excellent instructors are effective w/ only certain types of students)

GM:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom