Should I have done that?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've been in this situation before. Especially with one girl. She left the team she was on and went to another. All their pitchers were seeing the team pitching coach so the mom felt obligated to do so as well. The girl wound up being a mess. Once they were done with that team the mom asked if I could work with her and get her back on track. And oh, by the way, she has a tournament this weekend so we'd like a miracle.

I took her back and got her ready for that weekend. From that point on I walked on water with the girl and her mom. They were hugely loyal and couldn't say enough good about me to anyone who would listen.

People make decisions for all sorts of reasons. You can't take it personally. In my experience, those who return become your biggest fans and promoters.

Jan 24, 2009
. My thought was if the grass looked greener on the other side........

^^^You got burned and you're ego took a hit. Someone thought another PC might be better for their kid. Ok, deep breath...these psycho wingnut parents thought that it would be in the best interest of their daughter to change. Did you follow that part, because it was important? I can assure you that the parents aren't purposely trying to screw up their kid. They want what is best for her and now...what were you saying Joe? Oh, yeah:

They have called me three or four times to see about an opening.

1. Ask them why. Spoiler alert...they want what they think is best for their daughter.

(Ego restored) (fight back the "told-you-so's")

2. Enjoy doing what you really want to do.

Peace,
VW

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
No matter how many months have elapsed, they are always "my girls." She might have to fit in when I have openings, but i would have taken her.

Nov 29, 2009
It sounds like you've made your decision but you're looking for some validation from others here on the board who may have been in you shoes previously. So here's my take on it. The player left. The reason is not important. They owe you nothing so long as they were paying for the lessons. You made the changes to your "business" for lack of a better word in their absence. You are now very comfortable with your situation. You state you are able to service your six students to the degree that you feel is right and you have the time to dedicate to your own daughter. On your end life is good.

Is it a difficult decision to not help a kid? You betcha!!!! Especially if the girl was a great kid. However, parents make mistakes. That's a given. Unfortunately, their children can sometimes pay a price for the mistakes. It is not your responsibility to fix a parent's mistake. It is your choice to fix it if you feel so inclined. After reading your OP it sounds like you're not inclined and that's your choice as it was their choice to leave. You have no obligation to take the girl back.

I understand the "For the kids." sentiment. But, will your current students or daughter suffer if you take this girl back? There are only so many hours in the day. Will the six current students suffer for the sake one girl? As others have mentioned. Is there someone else in the area you can direct them to?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would take her back if you are able. Like others have mentioned, you should not punish the kid because of poor decision making by the parents.....also, if you are able to "fix" whatever is wrong, the word will spread throughout the community and your phone will ring off the hook. The best pitching coaches in our area never advertise and are booked months in advance.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I was pleasantly surprised tonight. Got a text from a pitcher I worked with for just over a year until the end of the high school season last spring. She wants me to again work with her. I could have just said, "Sorry, but I don't have enough time." But I gladly took her back. She's a good kid, and she wants to pitch! And, I don't know of anyone in the area who teaches the stuff Boardmember, Javasource, Pauly, Hillhouse, Balswick, and other experts here on the DFP teach (I hope Hillhouse is still on here). I'm actually excited to work with her again.

Maybe you should reconsider for her sake.

Aug 20, 2013
If you owned a business and had a regular customer that began shopping at your competitor's store, would you ban them from coming back to shop in your store in the future?

Feb 12, 2014
I am not a coach nor a trainer so I have never had to deal with these specific emotions but as a parent I am sure they feel terrible about going to the "greener" side.

Reminds me of a story where one of our parents had words with the coaching staff and pulled his daughter off the team in the middle of a game and stormed out of the complex. He was back at practice a week later, apologizing profusely to the coaches and begging for his daughter's return to the team. The coach took her back and the parent has been an angel ever since. The coaches words were " It is not her fault her father is an a**hole" LOL

Take the kid back, but set some guidelines ! Good Luck

Nov 29, 2009
If you owned a business and had a regular customer that began shopping at your competitor's store, would you ban them from coming back to shop in your store in the future?

Let's put a different spin on your example. Unlike a retailer who has almost unlimited contact potential, you own a very successful restaurant. Your reservation list is filled every day. You had a client who had a standing reservation for 7:00 pm on a particular night for a long time. They used the reservation faithfully. Suddenly they stop using the reservation without notice. You fill the spot with another client who uses the reservation every week. 12 months later the old customer returns and wants their old reservation back because they were good customers in the past. Granted, they were a good customer. But they stopped patronizing your business. You now have another good customer taking the place they left. Do you penalize the current good customer for the former customer who left?

Pitching lesson time, like table space in a restaurant, is finite. There are only so many hours in the day. The OP stated there are only so many hours in the week he can/wants to dedicate to giving lessons. He has things working well for his current students and his daughter. While taking the girl back is easy to say. There are the logistics of doing so. How many times have you heard parents comment here the good instructors in the their area are booked and they can't get in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG