Should I have done that?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I have been coming to this forum for quite a few years. I have had my share of bad parent moments. I think I might just be entering into a bad coach moment era. Hope you all have a minute for a little story.....

As my DD has grown up and improved as a pitcher, she has developed sort of a cult following in the local rec leagues. Since I have been a coach way before she was even born, I have naturally worked with her on her game. Because of all of the long hours we spent together at the parks, parents have naturally asked about who my DD's pitching coach was. Her answer is always the same. My Dad is my pitching coach. We got to know many of these younger kids and after a while, they asked me to work with their DD. I said no for the longest time. Finally about 3 years ago, I accepted my first girl. I have a very basic set of rules to follow. One of them is there are many pitching coaches and many differing styles. If you don't like me or my style, that is fine. You cannot keep switching between coaches. It will only confuse a player and ultimately hurt their success. Basically, if they pitch for me, I don't want them getting "advice" from any other coach. It has worked really well and at one point I was up to about 11 girls taking lessons.(That was way too many) This one girl came to me who I have known for several years. She was big and strong, but mentally a wreck. She needed help. I started working with her and within a few weeks there was a very obvious difference. She started throwing strikes consistently and winning games in the circle. I could tell the parents were very proud and would talk with anyone who would listen about their DD. Sure enough, a local TB coach got in their ears and convinced them to play on his team. Personally I don't like the guy, but I didn't really care who she pitched for. As long as she pitched. Plays for this team for six months doing fantastic. Suddenly out of the blue, she stops taking lessons from me. I guess my feelings got hurt for whatever reason. Fast forward six months. She is a wreck again. Cannot find the strike zone and mentally she is done. Of course the TB coach kicks her to the curb and she ends up on a different local team. I run into her parents at the park one night and they ask if I have any openings. I tell them I am booked solid and barely have time for the kids I see now. They have called me three or four times to see about an opening. My wife thinks I should have taken her back and helped her. My thought was if the grass looked greener on the other side........Am I a bad person? I currently am working with 6 girls and my DD. That number is perfect. I can get them all in and not feel like it is a second job. The girls I have are all doing great and I don't want to lose any time I could be spending with them. Tough lesson for her parents to learn. We all live with our choices. Is this one going to haunt me?

Jun 18, 2010
Chances are it was the girl's parents who were influenced to make the switch not the player. Think of it as helping the girl in this situation not the parents and give her a second chance. JMHO.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know it is hard to express everything in writing but it sounds like you reached your decision and are coming up with reasons to validate it.

If you are comfortable with your current number of students, no I do not think it will haunt you.

If you are annoyed with them for leaving, I think it will come back to haunt you. 1 and done seems pretty strict to me. Everyone makes mistakes and as long as they weren’t “jerks” when they left, I would let them back at least once.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Been there and done that. I was always and still am my DD's pitching coach. Even though she is in college we still review film and talk after some games. Over the years I have had numerous students and players leave. A few I have taken back, while most it was for the best to part ways. The ones that I did take back usually involved an issue with the parent not the student. In your case it sounds like the coach of the TB team played a significant role. If it is a win-win where I enjoy working with the pitcher, the family is respectful and I can help her get better then I welcome them back. It sounds like this is one that I would probably work with again.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To me, softball is about the kids. It is not about the parents or the coaches. The parents are usually nice, but terribly confused. Coaches run the gamut from fantastic, dedicated people to demonic psychopaths.

So, I always forget about the parents and think, "What about the kid? What is best for her?"

I guess my feelings got hurt for whatever reason.

I understand. But, in this business, you have to have a thick skin. This is par for the course.

Am I a bad person? I currently am working with 6 girls and my DD. That number is perfect. I can get them all in and not feel like it is a second job. The girls I have are all doing great and I don't want to lose any time I could be spending with them. Tough lesson for her parents to learn. We all live with our choices. Is this one going to haunt me?

Up until i got to the part that I put in bold type, I would say, "Well, if you only want to work with six girls and you've got six girls, fine. She has to wait in line.

I'm a little concerned that you are trying to "teach the parents a lesson" by punishing the child. The parents are not going to learn any lesson...they will simply think you are a jerk.

The child is the one who will suffer. The child didn't have anything to do with not taking lessons from you. It was 100% the parents.

If you truly don't have time or the desire for more students, then don't take her.

But, if you are trying "to teach the parents a lesson", then you are in the wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Theyd be more loyal and dedicated that's for sure since they've seen that the grass isn't greener. Theyd be a spokesperson for you as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC