Should I have done that?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
The fact is that if you are asking this question on a internet board (a really good one) the answer is yes its haunting you. When I've been in your shoes I to was a little hurt that they thought for a time I was not good enough for them. The up side is if you take them back the chances are they will be your biggest fans. My final thought is that its very likely the athlete you worked so hard on had nothing to do with the jump to not so greener pastures. Good luck, Its not always easy when you truly care. For what its worth I've taken them back in most situations and have never regretted it.

Take her back if you have the opening, not the kids fault. Plus some of these coaches out here have the gift of gab, and can talk a good game. Sounds like some green parents just ate up everything the coach was saying, and when he had no more use for the girl he dropped her. Im sure the parents learned thier lesson. That green grass usually turns brown real quick

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So much of this has to do with the why and the how. If they leave due to external pressure it probably had nothing to do with you. Some clueless TB coach espousing the virtues of some equally clueless PC. It sounds like they just kind of faded away to avoid having the awkward "We are going to a new PC because..." conversation. Which is very difficult when you really don't know why you are going to the new PC other than "because". Does not sound like it was personal and I doubt that trash talked you. And as BP said they will end up being your biggest fans.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
If you take her back, there has to be a heart to heart with the parents. It would be naive to think they've learned their lesson without some good conversation happening. I'd also recommend a contract..... Here's what I'll do for your daughter, here's what you'll do and what she'll do. If you can hold up your end....then we'll part ways professionally.

This is like any other relationship. They left you for someone else so the rules of engagement change.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I nearly always give folks a second chance. The only exceptions are when I feel the other person's intentions are not good and that I will be taken advantage of or manipulated somehow.

Why do I hand out second chances? Because I've been given plenty myself.

If you have time, give her a second chance.

Sep 18, 2011
I disagree completely with nearly everyone. This "give them a second chance" implies that they did something wrong. They didn't. They hired you to teach their daughter how to pitch. Probably purchased a set of lessons. Then they decided to go in a different direction. They owed you nothing. You're taking this WAY too personal. And now they want you to resume teaching their DD. That's actually paying you quite the compliment. I just don't understand the angst. You're a pitching coach, not a scorned lover.

Nov 30, 2013
I can understand your being hurt by what happened,but like most that have replied I would also take her back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd