Shorts vs. Pants

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I saw this on Yahoo News today

and wondered if there actually are opinions on shorts vs pants or if this is just a manufactured debate. I suppose if you are a pitcher and that is all you do, shorts are great. For everybody else, pants mean a bit less skin left on the field.

Oct 14, 2020
Catcher's dad here - not a fan of shorts.

Also not much of a fan of the thick polyester pants we have for uniform pants.

Oct 14, 2020
Well it is usually cold here till mid-June so... 😂

I think if they had pants with better material on our team the pants would be fine. My daughter ends up wearing UA leggings under her shorts because she hates the leg guards on bare skin.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The article was a good read. Like history time line.
Fit and material are good points made.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When DD was playing they switched from shorts to pants. I asked her how she liked the pants, she said thank God they changed. Never knew she had an opinion about it but she Did.

I know it effects them 'team' look but let individuals wear what they want as long as they match colors.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD’s preference is pants for outdoor practices and game days. Says she feels a little more protected (diving/sliding) but she also doesn’t wear sliding shorts underneath. And of course the most important.....she thinks pants look better.

Stylistically I think pant uniforms look cleaner. But I’m also not playing 5 games over the course of a weekend in July/August. I can tell you once the temp reaches 60....I definitely coach in shorts.

I can definitely understand that pant material of yesteryear likely wasn’t what it is today. So I can see where shorts were preferred previously.

Apr 20, 2015
I played in the era of shorts and honestly between the pulled up socks, sliding knee pad, sliding shorts it was just as hot as pants. Dds hs team would practice in shorts on their turf field or when hitting and that worked out ok.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2016
I survived a couple of summers in Georgia wearing green polyester, black leather boots and green t-shirts. You get used to the heat.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
A couple of years ago I saw a team wearing shorts at Huntington Beach. This was after most everyone had been wearing pants for a few years. I inquired and they stated they were from AZ and playing in 110 temps, they preferred the shorts. I had to agree.

Like moving to metal cleats, DD never looked back moving to pants at 12U.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying