Public service announcement for AZ

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
So, I went to the movies today (saw Dream Horse, it's a good flick, I'd recommend it). Came home and proceeded to clean my fish aquarium and do a water change. I flipped the TV on and softball was on: AZ vs. FSU. For the life of me, I'm baffled. So I thought I'd give a PSA to AZ, their pitching coach, or anyone else who calls their pitches.

When leading by 2 or less runs, in the 6th or 7th inning, you throw DROP BALLS! Play the percentages, dropballs are 10x less likely to be yanked for a HR. Even a mediocre dropball. AZ made this mistake TWICE in 2 innings. Once for the HR to put FSU ahead (then FSU made the same pitching mistake with a 1 run lead letting AZ tie the game in the 7th). But, then FSU scores on a sac fly with a R3 less than 2 outs and she throws another riseball. Are you kidding me? I'm simply baffled.

Aug 21, 2008
Bingo! Also, why is it in the women’s game the coaches insist on calling the pitches from the dugout!? Let the catchers call the games.

I'd be in favor of this if the catcher knew what they were doing. From the time they are 10 years old, most kids are getting pitches from the dugout and they aren't allowed to experiment, they don't think for themselves, they're not allowed to do trial and error because a 12U coach is more worried about winning trophies than teaching the game. And frankly, most of those coaches don't know how to call games themselves so how could they teach it? The ones that win USUALLY win because they have a pitcher with more talent then their opponents hitters. It's not because Sally's dad knows when is ideal for a change up. Are there exceptions? Yes. But I have been blown away by what the college catchers (D1-D3-NAIA) don't know about pitch calling. Like riseballs are bad with R3 and less than 2 outs. Like pitching inside to a RHB with a R3 and less than 2outs, to avoid them hitting opposite field for an easier score (this was another thing I saw in the 2 innings I watched today, they were throwing outside pitches to RHB with runner's on 3rd).

Now in the case I mentioned today about the coach not knowing how to teach game calling, I also realize that 90% of coaches in travel ball (especially at young ages) are Dad's who do this for their kid. I accept that, and I think that's wonderful. A lot of people are critical of coaches but never volunteer their own time. I tip my hat to them. But that doesn't mean they know how to call games or teach it.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
So, I went to the movies today (saw Dream Horse, it's a good flick, I'd recommend it). Came home and proceeded to clean my fish aquarium and do a water change. I flipped the TV on and softball was on: AZ vs. FSU. For the life of me, I'm baffled. So I thought I'd give a PSA to AZ, their pitching coach, or anyone else who calls their pitches.

When leading by 2 or less runs, in the 6th or 7th inning, you throw DROP BALLS! Play the percentages, dropballs are 10x less likely to be yanked for a HR. Even a mediocre dropball. AZ made this mistake TWICE in 2 innings. Once for the HR to put FSU ahead (then FSU made the same pitching mistake with a 1 run lead letting AZ tie the game in the 7th). But, then FSU scores on a sac fly with a R3 less than 2 outs and she throws another riseball. Are you kidding me? I'm simply baffled.
@Hillhouse but I thought you don't watch these games because of the announcers???LOL

Nov 25, 2012
USA
@Hillhouse you know I am Flipping with you. You are absolutely right on and I said to myself the same thing.

Pouring in OKC right now but about to pass. OU and UCLA coming up. @Hillhouse don't miss this one!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

If I am not mistaken the count was 1-2. I thought they were going to semi intentionally walk her to load the bases but got a questionable strike called on the 1st pitch (down and away). If your going to throw a riseball there it should be at her eyes well out of the zone only to set up the down and away pitch for the K or ground into double play.

Aug 21, 2008
If I am not mistaken the count was 1-2. I thought they were going to semi intentionally walk her to load the bases but got a questionable strike called on the 1st pitch (down and away). If your going to throw a riseball there it should be at her eyes well out of the zone only to set up the down and away pitch for the K or ground into double play.

I don't care if the count was 0-2. PLAY THE PERCENTAGES. Especially at the end with a sac fly needed to win the game. Unless I'm missing something, and she was trying to throw a drop but got it way up in the zone... I will never understand. And if she's not a dropball pitcher? Then bring someone in who is. This is the WCWS, Division 1. How that is not someone's #1 pitch is beyond me.

The ONLY time I would consider an exception to this rule would be a pitcher who's blowing them away with riseballs. Someone with 15K's over 6 innings on riseballs, who's already K'd the hitter (making her look ugly at the plate) multiple times with a rise. Even then, I'd be having knots in my stomach about what's been working vs. playing the percentages.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
But that doesn't mean they know how to call games or teach it.

I find that teaching it is incredibly difficult for a whole bunch of reasons.

I have 30+ experience watching/playing/coaching baseball and softball. All of that goes into my decisions. How am I supposed to teach 30+ years of what I've learned in a way that's easily digested by a pitcher/catcher who only have a few years experience?

When is there even time to practice this? I certainly can't dedicate team practice time to it (others may be able to, but I'm too busy teaching our girls how to play).

I always try to explain how we're going to attack certain hitters, usually after 1-2 times through the order and I start to figure out some tendencies. I also know my own pitcher's weaknesses, so I'll talk to the catcher about how to avoid those. And probably most importantly, I'll give her batters and sometimes entire innings. But the truth is there isn't a lot of time to then go over what she called, why, how it worked, etc.

Calling a game well requires knowing your pitchers, learning other hitters quickly (and HP umpires, too!), knowing the game situation, understanding a little bit about psychology/game theory. It's a lot. And most of it requires experience the kids don't have yet. So I understand coaches calling games, but they should do their best to explain why they attacked hitters in certain ways.

Aug 21, 2008
@Hillhouse you know I am Flipping with you. You are absolutely right on and I said to myself the same thing.

Pouring in OKC right now but about to pass. OU and UCLA coming up. @Hillhouse don't miss this one!

Only had it on in the background while I was arm deep in fish poop. I yelled at the TV but nobody heard me. LOL.

I had an interesting conversation with a D1 coach today about the JMU pitcher. The coach acknowledged how great she is doing and how fantastic this is for the game but, also said she is pitching over her head at the moment. She's in the zone. Prior to this year, her numbers, complete games, and her attitude were completely different than what is on TV now. I haven't watched her at all, I wanna try tomorrow to see her to see what the fuss is about. But this coach was pretty emphatic that what we're seeing is someone who's simply hot and on a roll.

Aug 21, 2008
I find that teaching it is incredibly difficult for a whole bunch of reasons.

I have 30+ experience watching/playing/coaching baseball and softball. All of that goes into my decisions. How am I supposed to teach 30+ years of what I've learned in a way that's easily digested by a pitcher/catcher who only have a few years experience?

When is there even time to practice this? I certainly can't dedicate team practice time to it (others may be able to, but I'm too busy teaching our girls how to play).

I always try to explain how we're going to attack certain hitters, usually after 1-2 times through the order and I start to figure out some tendencies. I also know my own pitcher's weaknesses, so I'll talk to the catcher about how to avoid those. And probably most importantly, I'll give her batters and sometimes entire innings. But the truth is there isn't a lot of time to then go over what she called, why, how it worked, etc.

Calling a game well requires knowing your pitchers, learning other hitters quickly (and HP umpires, too!), knowing the game situation, understanding a little bit about psychology/game theory. It's a lot. And most of it requires experience the kids don't have yet. So I understand coaches calling games, but they should do their best to explain why they attacked hitters in certain ways.

Agreed. But if a kid is allowed to make mistakes on bad pitching calling when she's 12, she's going to learn what to do, what do throw in situations, how to think for herself, and devise a game plan. The catcher is going to make mistakes and bad calls!! So will a coach on a bucket!! But, as I said, youth coaches act like they are winning the WCWS at 12 yr old tournaments instead of letting the kids actually develop and learn. It'd be fantastic if a coach understood things and worked with a young catcher on what to look for, what to call, situational awareness, etc. There is a Facebook meme going around which is so true: no college coach is going to ask about someone's record in the 12U division! Coaches in 12U (for example) act like they are coaching to win at all costs, as if they are coaching in a profession like a college coach instead of letting the kids learn. Winning the trophy is more important than development. I don't understand that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad