Scoring Question - SAC vs FC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
As a coach, if I ask a girl to lay down a bunt trying to score a runner from 3rd and she gets the bunt down I am going to give her a SAC or a hit, REGARDLESS of the outcome of the play. I am NOT going to penalize her batting average because she is being a team player. These kind of subjective questions are the reason stats can be very misleading. If you have 10 different people keep score of a game, there will be 10 different variations of the same game.....I was sitting in the stands next a lady keeping the book for a high school game last year when the batter hit an easy fly ball to the left fielder. The left fielder broke in on the ball and misjudged it, allowing the ball to land 3 feet behind her. The lady keeping the book gave the batter a 'hit' because she said the outfielder did not touch the ball......LOL

Not so fast...

If a fly ball is misjudged and the fielder does not recover in time to gain good position, a hit is credited to the batter.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I never said my 'scoring' was correct, but if one of my outfielders misjudges a routine fly ball and it drops, my outfielder is getting an error. I am NOT going to charge my pitcher with giving up a hit and a potential earned run because my outfielder plays like she belongs on the "Bad New Bears"........

I never said my 'scoring' was correct, but if one of my outfielders misjudges a routine fly ball and it drops, my outfielder is getting an error. I am NOT going to charge my pitcher with giving up a hit and a potential earned run because my outfielder plays like she belongs on the "Bad New Bears"........

This exact scenario happened the other night at the CWS, I think it was Cal game the ball dropped literally between the first baseman and second baseman that both could have easily with ordinary effort caught the ball but because neither one touched it the play was scored a hit. Can you imagine having a no-hitter going and a scorekeeper making that call in the seventh inning, maybe the judgement would have been different but they seemed pretty adamant.

In my score book it is an error every time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Seems there's a tendency to apply one's own logic and rationale because the scoring guidelines are only for those who don't know any better. This is a prime example of why I have little faith in SB statistics recorded by others.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Seems there's a tendency to apply one's own logic and rationale because the scoring guidelines are only for those who don't know any better. This is a prime example of why I have little faith in SB statistics recorded by others.

This is why we never publish our SB or stats. You have to score it as a hit or an error, so you are hosing your pitcher if you follow the guidelines.........and as an added bonus a subpar outfielder with an inflated fielding percentage who's parents cannot understand why you pulled their DD since she has a .950 fielding percentage. LOL

I keep stats on my girls so I know how they are performing, in the above scenario my pitcher is inducing an easy fly ball and my fielder was out to lunch so that is how I'm going to score it in "my" book

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2009
So how do you score this, pitcher has a perfect game in fifth inning, batter hits a grounder(not hit real hard but average) a few steps to the right of the second baseman whom gets a glove on it but ball goes off glove into outfield and batter reaches first? This happened to my DD team this Saturday, after that play no one else reached base.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So how do you score this, pitcher has a perfect game in fifth inning, batter hits a grounder(not hit real hard but average) a few steps to the right of the second baseman whom gets a glove on it but ball goes off glove into outfield and batter reaches first? This happened to my DD team this Saturday, after that play no one else reached base.

For me it would be a judgement call based on my 2nd basemans ability....do I think she should have made the play based on her L/R mobility and how hard the ball was hit and how fast the base runner was?

For me it would be a judgement call based on my 2nd basemans ability....do I think she should have made the play based on her L/R mobility and how hard the ball was hit and how fast the base runner was?

Given it was 2nd base probably an error. If she got her glove on it even a little bobble and she could probably still recover unless it was a real fast slapper (assuming it was not since the second baseman is usually not their target of choice) but maybe the scorekeeper thought it was a hard shot that she could not really get to with normal effort.

However this is always just a judgement call. In CWS the other night they actually gave a girl an error after the ball bounced of the pitchers glove then over to the second baseman, on the replay you could see she misplayed it off the heel of her glove and might have made the play at first but my judgement was not an error but a hit (could not really give pitcher an error she was just quick reaction throwing her glove out) simply because a ball bouncing off another players glove is going to be spinning and bouncing really funny and I would no longer consider this a routine play easily made...these are always just judgement calls that can go either way at least that is my judgement ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez