Scap Load (Stretch, Pull Back)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I’m starting to believe the pull back of the hands/ upper body is a move with the bottom hand pushing rearwards. Hits some balls today keeping top hand fairly loose and pushing rearwards with the bottom hand. Felt good whip, low upper body tension. Kinda felt a rock the U action. When I focus on loading rear scap, I get more tension and less whip. Thoughts?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
With the younger kids 14U and younger, they mostly responded to bring the hands to in front of the shoulder when the pitcher was ready to start then pull the elbow back behind the hands during the stride. In most every case, could visibly see bat speed increase 😲.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I gotcha Ski but what pulls the elbow back? Felt better swinging when the bottom hand pushed the elbow back. Try it dry! Hold imaginary bat and use bottom hand to push back. Now hold imaginary bat and pull back with rear elbow. Which one feels more natural?
With the younger kids 14U and younger, they mostly responded to bring the hands to in front of the shoulder when the pitcher was ready to start then pull the elbow back behind the hands during the stride. In most every case, could visibly see bat speed increase 😲.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I gotcha Ski but what pulls the elbow back? Felt better swinging when the bottom hand pushed the elbow back. Try it dry! Hold imaginary bat and use bottom hand to push back. Now hold imaginary bat and pull back with rear elbow. Which one feels more natural?
Tried it and the elbow felt better but if the hand felt better for you, it will probably feel better for one of the kids. Will use both to see which feels better for each of them. Thank you. Also had a couple of neighbors want to know if I needed help with my body twitches ;)

Aug 20, 2017
Tried it and the elbow felt better but if the hand felt better for you, it will probably feel better for one of the kids. Will use both to see which feels better for each of them. Thank you. Also had a couple of neighbors want to know if I needed help with my body twitches ;)
You’re a good dude Sky! Always positive and honest! Appreciate your posts

May 16, 2019
Kinda of how Barry cocks his bat forward while in his stance CB?

I agree Sky always has something positive to contribute.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
So many different ways of getting it done, that it really is more style or personal preference than anything else.

Besides using the arm, elbow, or hand...there is also the technique of really using none of those actively, but instead moving the body (ribcage) underneath the scap, while simply holding the others in place w/o either pushing or pulling them.

This is often seen in the "tip and rip" idea of hitting, as when one is "tipping", it's rather difficult to start pulling or pushing with the hands/elbows/arms and not lose the barrel.

So it's just another way of "loading" the scap, w/o moving the hands away from the body as much as one might when they actively move the arm/elbow/hand(s) in order to do it...and something else to maybe run through the test kitchen as see what you make of it. =)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I’m starting to believe the pull back of the hands/ upper body is a move with the bottom hand pushing rearwards. Hits some balls today keeping top hand fairly loose and pushing rearwards with the bottom hand. Felt good whip, low upper body tension. Kinda felt a rock the U action. When I focus on loading rear scap, I get more tension and less whip. Thoughts?
Working on that with DD and seen more whip/speed. No muscling up = more speed.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Don't view using the elbow rather than the hands as a power move. Quite relaxed as a timing mechanism the starts the bat head movement before it's change of direction. ( a body in motion tends to stay in motion concept)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13