PUSH the BAT or PULL the BAT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
yes and no....of course the elbow is elevated in a sense that it is not down on the body or even or in worst case below the hands...it should always end up above the hands at contact....

No - the elbow is not a teach....if the hands work right the elbow will do what it is supposed to do....have a lot of experience around here with lead elbow pull type teaching....it is not what I recommend....the elbow wings up and out leaving the hitter trying to salvage some swings as they are pulling off...

Like I have been saying - if the bottom hand is rolling correctly - the barrel can be turned/thrown into contact with much more velocity because the bottom hand can decelerate correctly allowing the top hand to throw past and provide the pop in the swing....I might use the bottom hand as emphasis, but obviously the front forearm is rolling as well and this allows the front arm to lengthen (extension) or pull in as need be....if the bottom hand is hammering in plane and the forearm is not allowed to roll (trying to give you another visual) the elbow hinge will bottom out sooner and force the hitter to pull off with either the elbow, shoulder or both....the wrist can hammer only so far if the forearm isnt allowed to supinate (roll)...

The reason this needs to be taught is because too many hitters are taught to either lead pull with the elbow, or are taught flat hands at contact (see pizza toss drill) or are taught to hammer with the bottom hand....

This is a snip-it from an article called "Big Hitters, Same Hitting Drills"
The scientific reasoning behind lead-arm extension is that the amount of leverage you can achieve. In the baseball swing, your front arm is the longer lever and will therefore provide more leverage and power. And that is my I warn my students not to roll their wrist over prematurely because it will keep them from maintaining the flat swing that allows for extension.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
This is a snip-it from an article called "Big Hitters, Same Hitting Drills"
The scientific reasoning behind lead-arm extension is that the amount of leverage you can achieve. In the baseball swing, your front arm is the longer lever and will therefore provide more leverage and power. And that is my I warn my students not to roll their wrist over prematurely because it will keep them from maintaining the flat swing that allows for extension.

Just curious why you didn't mention that the article was written by Charlie Lau Jr.

I kind of figured out that you were a Lau follower somewhere down the line. Maybe it was the 99% of the professional baseball world doesn't know what they are talking about attitude. Or the lack of any references. Then the icing came with the Ted Williams dosen't know what he is talking about statement.

I would have just ignored the whole thread if I would have known...oh well...ya live and learn.

Merry Christmas Len. It's been fun

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Actually, I'm not a Lau follower. I've never read his books nor seen any videos, but what he says here is correct. Think what you want RHC, but I'm not putting down MLB players. What I said is a true statement. The majority are listening to what other people say they are doing and they take it as gospel. They're not hitting theorists....they're ball players. I would have given anything to be an MLB player but I just didn't have it like them. Anyway, this is what I expected going against the status quo on here. Keep driving the bat down with the top hand RHC. Keep spouting garbage about initiating the shorter lever in the swing and how much more powerful it is. Keep thinking that certain MLB players, past and present, fully understood and were able to put into words what they actually do. Keep posting funny faces and chess pieces, it really doesn't bother me. Whenever I see you post your useless dribble, I will be here to post to the contrary. Whenever you post something useful I will give you your kudos. Happy Holidays RHC, we're going to have a fun time together.

Dec 19, 2012
Would you want to elevate your elbow for this pitch? Does this hitter elevate? She can adjust to pretty good pitch because her elbow is not elevating....her hands are directing the barrel down to and up through....she is not hitting a grounder...

Set up a ball on a small cone (no more then 12" high) low and inside and have players try and hit....most players will swing around the ball and miss completely....then some will start rifling the ball foul when they do make contact....why? If your bottom hand is hammering - the elbow immediately flips up and sweeps the barrel....no way to make an inside adjustment from there....

20jjx8p.jpg

imqstu.jpg

Why is this young lady so far away from the plate. She has to fully extend her arms to hit a low middle/in pitch. This is not a sound setup IMO, unless she guessed she was going to get jammed.

Dec 19, 2012
Tommy Armour said long before the others...under a NO-NONSENSE piece of instruction (for right hand hitters) that read "WHACK THE HELL OUT OF THE BALL WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND."

Golf is a different swing. Are you saying a golf swing and a baseball/softball swing are the same?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Originally Posted by redhotcoach
Tommy Armour said long before the others...under a NO-NONSENSE piece of instruction (for right hand hitters) that read "WHACK THE HELL OUT OF THE BALL WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND."

Lurkers, ^^^^excerpt from "The Science of Hitting" -Ted Williams

Just 1 of 4 mlb mvps that the other side says doesn't know what they are talking about.
And 2 of 4 that the other side brought up first to support their case.

Dec 29, 2010
Basic swing mechanics are the same. What would the difference be besides the arc and speed of the pitch? Mechanically, what would you do different to try to hit the ball hard in slow pitch versus fastpitch?

Dude are u kidding me? Slowpitch arc asa ball coming down from 10 - 15 feet crossing between front shoulder to back knee for a strike. Love it when young bucks come out and try to hit slowpitch, timing off 200 foot pop ups. Therebis enough confusion here don't add to it

R

RayR

Hmmm....you missed the point entirely....she should have just moved closer to the plate instead of making an adjustment?

Why is this young lady so far away from the plate. She has to fully extend her arms to hit a low middle/in pitch. This is not a sound setup IMO, unless she guessed she was going to get jammed.

Dec 19, 2012
Dude are u kidding me? Slowpitch arc asa ball coming down from 10 - 15 feet crossing between front shoulder to back knee for a strike. Love it when young bucks come out and try to hit slowpitch, timing off 200 foot pop ups. Therebis enough confusion here don't add to it

So you can't explain the supposed difference of mechanics behind the baseball swing and slow pitch softball swing? Should the stance be different? Should the load be different? Is the weight shift different? Do you use different sets of muscles? Please explain.....

Dec 19, 2012
Hmmm....you missed the point entirely....she should have just moved closer to the plate instead of making an adjustment?

If she was in the correct position in the batters box she would not look so goofy all stretched out hitting that low inside pitch. Let's say everything (the young lady and the ball) was moved 15 inches to our left. Now the ball is off the plate and a good hitter would not swing at that pitch because it would be a stupid pitch to hit under normal circumstances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619