PUSH the BAT or PULL the BAT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm not completely buying into the "then a miracle happens" explanation for hitting oppo, but I also am curious about how the front arm pull allows for a) staying back on off-speed pitches; and b) checked swings.

Dec 29, 2010
Have you ever noticed that the best coaches aren't necessarily the greatest players to play the game? I have studied hitting theory a very long time and the science behind it. One thing I do know is that there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat. I also know that a very few have it and most of us do not. When all the craze was squishing the bug I was not in the same boat. When all the craze was swinging down on the ball to increase the reverse spin on the ball I was not on the same boat. I also know that practice makes permanent and perfect practice makes perfect. That's why I do not understand the drills some have posted on here.

When I played slow pitch softball (after baseball and before the hi-tech bats) and the bases were still at 60ft, I knew my best way to get on base was to finesse the ball with my top hand. I could flick it anywhere and if by some strange chance the outfield pulled in I would pull hard from the front side and hit it over their head. Sometimes I got lucky and would hit it out.

What year was this? When u played softball? Please don't mix the 2 sports up. Different arcs different speeds. Different rules.

Dec 29, 2010
The rear hip does not pull the hands. You may think that, you may think you feel that, but it is not what moves the hands.

They need to connect with a pull back/scap. More info u know where to go. If not lurkers pm me.

Dec 19, 2012
What year was this? When u played softball? Please don't mix the 2 sports up. Different arcs different speeds. Different rules.

Basic swing mechanics are the same. What would the difference be besides the arc and speed of the pitch? Mechanically, what would you do different to try to hit the ball hard in slow pitch versus fastpitch?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
CheckMate.gif

lol.....I don't think so.

Dec 19, 2012
WOW...Ripken, Bonds, and now Braun....7208 combined hits....1395 combined home runs.

and they don't know how they did it????????

Their brain knows how to do it but often times they do not know how to explain it. They go by what other people are telling them what is happening.

Dec 19, 2012
You are a lucky man but did you learn anything?

The part in Bold proves what I am trying to say. That is exactly how they practice and that practice leads to their game swings. If they practice differently they would have a different outcome.

I do not understand your post......sorry.

Dec 19, 2012
MTS, no offense, but I don't understand the purpose of debating with liars.

Len:

GM

Len

Later Len saving face

Especially ones that I have treated kindly that start threads to try to call me out.

I have no profit in anything on here....It cost ME nothing to say I am wrong...in fact it benefits me by learning more.
It's all for the kids, not for the bank account.

I'm sorry...how am I lying? Opposite field shots are top hand driven.....they are and cannot be hit nearly as hard as a pulled shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut