SB vs. BB pitch speed comparison chart

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
[Q
UOTE="Hillhouse, post: 547330, member: 674"]
Mad, for someone who's never seen a game of men's fastpitch, knows nothing of it's history (and how it got todays female game where it is today), never wants to see it, barely wants to even acknowledge it exists, I find it incredible how opinionated you are about it.

I always find it interesting that some people revert to the argument of "move the rubber back". WHY? runs are still being scored. The games are competitive with 2 equal teams are playing. And nobody who actually plays is complaining. I'm using this rhetorically because you've made your view well known how you wouldn't even care to see any men's fastpitch game: beer league or world championship. But if you did, your chin would hit the ground at how hard the ball is thrown, with so much movement, and yet the players are still talented enough to hit, slap, go long ball, etc. How about getting rid of composite bats and polycore balls? Keep the rubber where it is, enforce the rules as you see fit, but make the offenses use 1960's equipment?

Softball bodies have finally stepped into the 21st century with some pitching rule changes. International rules allow both sexes to leap off the rubber. The men's game has taken it one step further because the scores would resemble a Star Trek stardate "23.21" if they didn't alter what their doing to keep the games relatively low scoring.

The top National teams (Olympic teams) in the world (USA, Australia, Japan, etc) all use male pitchers for their batting practice because it makes the competition they'd see in games seem infinitely more manageable. So maybe...... just maybe.... there's room in the world for both gender's in the sport.

Bill
I guess it’s a case
I guess it’s just a case of what your brought up with Bill. Baseball is what boys play in my area and girls play softball.
I will say the guy in the video was throwing some serious heat. What’s the pitching distance for men 45’, 50’?
Given the choice of watching attractive women or men in any given sport I’m choosing women every time.
[/QUOTE]

What about ugly girls, what's your interest in watching softball if its just ugly girls playing?? You think most girls go to baseball games to ogle the players or do you think they just like the game?? I agree I don't see any mens fastpitch on TV but if there was a game anywhere near, I promise I would want to take my DD to watch just for the education and that fastpitch is pretty awesome no matter who is playing it.

Apr 28, 2019
Mad, for someone who's never seen a game of men's fastpitch, knows nothing of it's history (and how it got todays female game where it is today), never wants to see it, barely wants to even acknowledge it exists, I find it incredible how opinionated you are about it.

I always find it interesting that some people revert to the argument of "move the rubber back". WHY? runs are still being scored. The games are competitive with 2 equal teams are playing. And nobody who actually plays is complaining. I'm using this rhetorically because you've made your view well known how you wouldn't even care to see any men's fastpitch game: beer league or world championship. But if you did, your chin would hit the ground at how hard the ball is thrown, with so much movement, and yet the players are still talented enough to hit, slap, go long ball, etc. How about getting rid of composite bats and polycore balls? Keep the rubber where it is, enforce the rules as you see fit, but make the offenses use 1960's equipment?

Softball bodies have finally stepped into the 21st century with some pitching rule changes. International rules allow both sexes to leap off the rubber. The men's game has taken it one step further because the scores would resemble a Star Trek stardate "23.21" if they didn't alter what their doing to keep the games relatively low scoring.

The top National teams (Olympic teams) in the world (USA, Australia, Japan, etc) all use male pitchers for their batting practice because it makes the competition they'd see in games seem infinitely more manageable. So maybe...... just maybe.... there's room in the world for both gender's in the sport.

Bill
I did
[Q
UOTE="Hillhouse, post: 547330, member: 674"]

Bill
I guess it’s a case
I guess it’s just a case of what your brought up with Bill. Baseball is what boys play in my area and girls play softball.
I will say the guy in the video was throwing some serious heat. What’s the pitching distance for men 45’, 50’?
Given the choice of watching attractive women or men in any given sport I’m choosing women every time.
[/QUOTE]
I did notice during last years NCAA tournament there was a team OK ST or maybe AZ ST that mentioned they had a male pitching coach that throws BP in the 70’s to their hitters.
I believe they said he was a former USA men’s Fastpitch pitcher at the highest level.
I guess I prefer the women’s game over the men’s game because I like to see the females that can actually play like males.
The top players that mechanically throw like boys. There are still many top college players that throw like girls. Outfielders mostly I see with poor throwing mechanics.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I dont like watching anyone grab their crotch and spit.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I guess I prefer the women’s game over the men’s game because I like to see the females that can actually play like males.
The top players that mechanically throw like boys. There are still many top college players that throw like girls. Outfielders mostly I see with poor throwing mechanics.

What??? How exactly does one "throw like a girl?" Are you implying that boys throw with proper mechanics and girls do not, except for the "top players"?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
I did
I guess it’s a case

Mad, baseball is what's played everywhere. It's not just your area. I was an abnormality because I chose to play fastpitch instead of baseball, playing in the men's leagues at 12 years old (and getting crushed every time I pitched!!!).

Men's fastpitch distance is 46 feet.

I cannot argue with that one at all. :)
I did notice during last years NCAA tournament there was a team OK ST or maybe AZ ST that mentioned they had a male pitching coach that throws BP in the 70’s to their hitters.
I believe they said he was a former USA men’s Fastpitch pitcher at the highest level.

Tulsa's coach last year used to play SS for the USA men's team, wasn't a pitcher. Not sure who they're referring to. I don't think AZ state has a former pitcher. Although they did when Clint Meyer coached there, Chuck D'Arcy. He was in his 70's I think so I am not sure he's bringing it 70 mph but probably still pretty good. However, that was a few years ago. I think you'd be surprised how many former US Men's team players/pitchers are coaching in colleges. It's a pretty good number.

I think there are plenty of males who throw with incorrect mechanics too.
[/QUOTE]

Apr 28, 2019
Fixed it for you based upon your previous post
Fixed it for you based upon your previous post
I guess it’s a case

What about ugly girls, what's your interest in watching softball if its just ugly girls playing?? You think most girls go to baseball games to ogle the players or do you think they just like the game?? I agree I don't see any mens fastpitch on TV but if there was a game anywhere near, I promise I would want to take my DD to watch just for the education and that fastpitch is pretty awesome no matter who is playing it.
[/QUOTE]
Not me..Larry Bird over Sue Bird every time... :LOL:
[/QUOTE
You have issues Pattar. And your a teacher huh? How sad is that? What do you teach self loathing? You always gotta throw stones. Man crush on Larry Legend nice.

Apr 28, 2019

Tulsa's coach last year used to play SS for the USA men's team, wasn't a pitcher. Not sure who they're referring to. I don't think AZ state has a former pitcher. Although they did when Clint Meyer coached there, Chuck D'Arcy. He was in his 70's I think so I am not sure he's bringing it 70 mph but probably still pretty good. However, that was a few years ago. I think you'd be surprised how many former US Men's team players/pitchers are coaching in colleges. It's a pretty good number.

I think there are plenty of males who throw with incorrect mechanics too.
[/QUOTE]
I’m sure there are guys with bad throwing mechanics. I enjoy watching the ladies that take the game to the highest level.
Very athletic and play like boys. Should probably use the word athlete to be PC. I have a DD that is probably better than most boys her age and plays like a boy. My other DD definitely plays like a girl.
Playing like a boy is the highest praise I can bestow on a female player.
Again, I should probably use the word athlete.
When I see an aggressive, mechanically sound, athletic female I think man she could play with the boys and hold her own. It’s nice to see.

Apr 28, 2019
I may have issues but at least it hasn't taken me 1045 posts (and counting) to figure out how to quote a post properly...
No idea about what your referring to. If I quoted a post it wan’t intentional. Sounds like you may have more than one man crush. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. (Seinfeld reference).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207