Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree players/parents can wear a mask if they want, they have that choice. My concern, is there a bias against those that wear masks at higher levels of play.

The only bias I see is against players who do not have skills, specifically hitting. If you can hit and have the grades you will get recruited. I think in most instances the mask a convenient excuse for those without skills. There are so many opportunities out there that the idea that you cannot get a ride despite having the requisite skills simply because you wear a mask is pretty far fetched. I said it before, I challenge someone to present evidence of a coach of a reputable program going on record that they will not recruit a player regardless of all other factors simply because she wears a mask.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
The only bias I see is against players who do not have skills, specifically hitting. If you can hit and have the grades you will get recruited. I think in most instances the mask a convenient excuse for those without skills. There are so many opportunities out there that the idea that you cannot get a ride despite having the requisite skills simply because you wear a mask is pretty far fetched. I said it before, I challenge someone to present evidence of the coach of a reputable program going on record that they will not recruit a player regardless of all other factors simply because she wears a mask.

This is not "on the record", but I can tell you in June 2014, DD was at a "prospects only" camp, 12 players total, for a top 20 D1. DD was personally invited by the HC. During a scrimmage at the camp, the HC approached DD and asked her why she was still wearing a mask. Makes me believe her wearing a mask was a negative to this HC.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is not "on the record", but I can tell you in June 2014, DD was at a "prospects only" camp, 12 players total, for a top 20 D1. DD was personally invited by the HC. During a scrimmage at the camp, the HC approached DD and asked her why she was still wearing a mask. Makes me believe her wearing a mask was a negative to this HC.

I think you are reading too much into it. May have just wanted to know if she was afraid of the ball, which is a reasonable question. May I suggest the answer of "because it let's me play with total abandon in full beast mode at 3rd base" then go out and deliver the goods, and out play everyone else at the camp. Which is something she will need to do with or without the mask. At that point the mask will be a non-factor.

Feb 3, 2011
What makes you think I believe any such thing? Have I stated anywhere that parents and/or players are incapable of making a decision? Pull the quote, because I'm fairly certain I haven't said anything of the sort.

You said that there ought to be a mandate. You said that allowing the threat of a lawsuit as a reason for not having a mandate was an act of cowardice.

If you honestly believe that players and parents are capable of making the decision for themselves, then why engage in name-calling for those who disagree with your prior assertion?

Threat of litigation aside, the wiser and more prudent course of action is to let players and parents know what's available if they don't already know, but not to give them a false sense of security by endorsing an uncertified product for use on the head.

Feb 7, 2013

This is my concern, that college coaches don't like players wearing masks because of their own ignorance and misguided perception that masks make players tentative, effect the full range of sight, and/or that as Kristina Thorson (NPF) said "the boys don't wear them, why should the girls". If the college coaches let it be known that they don't like players wearing masks, the large TB orgs may follow suit to please their "customers".

A few years ago, I thought that masks would start becoming commonplace and not be an issue in the future but my fear is that quality players will be at a disadvantage in recruiting if they insist on wearing a fielding mask. Let's hope this isn't the case?

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
My DD plays catcher, second base and third base for her 14u travel team. While playing second, she fielded a hard one hopper and was greeted with a "helmet to helmet" collision with the girl on first. She turned the double play and was left with a scraped chin. If she wouldn't have had her mask on, I believe her face would have been cut to pieces by the mask of the runner. If you want the fielders to take off the mask, take the face guard off of the helmets.

Dec 20, 2012
This goes round and round every time it is brought up. Let parents be responsible for their own kids and live with whichever decision they choose. But if you put the mask on all the infielders what happens to a LF when they collide with the SS? Now you are putting the OF at risk. There are inherent risks. It could be anything from line drive to the jaw or a bat slipping and hitting the kid in the On Deck circle. You can not predict any of them and can not be protected from all of them. If you start adding up how many pitches are thrown in ratio to how many injuries from batted balls it is miniscule, almost nonexistent. You have a better chance of a collision and suffering a conclusion. And fatalities are far more common from commotio cordis. But all we here is wear mask.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have gotten hit in slowpitch (don't ask me how, but just know that throws are wild, and guys will hit any ball pitched to them even at the danger of fielders who are gabbing and not looking). I have been hit in the mouth. I was also hit in the mouth at 8 years old with a real ball. You do survive. I have also witnessed some injuries to boys faces with a baseball that is far more dangerous than a softball is, and noticed that the boys leagues changed their bats. Until we have the same consideration for boys faces and change the girls bats, I will still go round and round and call adults out. There is no difference in faces when you consider health.

I've seen men's slow pitch pitchers using facemasks at a local "beer" league recently - no beer on the field just afterwards. Times change.

So since you got hit in the face and lived, other kids should too. Brilliant.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have been hit in the mouth.
Shocked/surprised:rolleyes:......
dsgstd-nrd.gif

Jun 21, 2010
A parent recently shared some photos of their dd hit by the ball. First was a bad hop that hit her in the jaw and right cheek. First thought was where was her mask? She always uses one. This is 1st year 16u. Finally found out either the coach or the org frowns on masks. Parent never told me who. That's a bit much to ask of a kid to play for you. No matter if you are a college exposure team or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi