Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I don't have the experience with the older age groups. My experience is more with 8u, 10u, 12u. I can see where it might be seen as a security blanket for a 18u. However with the age groups I'm familiar with they tend to be a little timid when a ball is hit 70mph at their face. The masks do help them feel safer and get over the fear of being hit which makes it easier to teach proper fielding.

10 years ago you very rarely seen a defender mask now it almost seems strange if you see a team without them. Whether you love or hate them I believe its an evolution. Maybe in 10 more years it won't even be a discussion.

Me personally, I would never ask a player to do something they didn't feel comfortable or safe with. I teach the same fielding mechanics mask or no mask. I expect the same from either girl.

Jan 3, 2014
I deleted the post before anybody else decides to pile on about her "defensive posture". Not my DD.

~Laker

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I deleted the post before anybody else decides to pile on about her "defensive posture". Not my DD.

~Laker

Sorry. Do you not feel that a conversation about safety equipment should include proper training and the development of skills? You do not toss someone the keys to a car because they are wearing a seat belt and the car is equipped with air bags. At some point coaches and parents need to assume complete responsibility for player safety. A mask in and of itself is not a solution.

Jan 3, 2014
I agree with you. But, since it's not my DD I figured it was prudent, despite having permission. Have a good evening.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sorry. Do you not feel that a conversation about safety equipment should include proper training and the development of skills? You do not toss someone the keys to a car because they are wearing a seat belt and the car is equipped with air bags. At some point coaches and parents need to assume complete responsibility for player safety. A mask in and of itself is not a solution.

So from the deleted post it sounds like the mask worked perfectly as designed and all you got out of it is the girl should be a better fielder?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So from the deleted post it sounds like the mask worked perfectly as designed and all you got out of it is the girl should be a better fielder?

No. I got out of it that she wore a mask, it worked as designed, she was most likely spared significant injury, and yes most likely based on the picture she was deficient in her fielding skills. I read every comment in this thread and with the exception of #54 not a single post mentioned the development of fielding skills in addition to wearing a mask.

How often have we seen a post stating that a player was 40 feet away, it was so fast that she had no time to react? Sorry but I respectfully disagree. The reality is that she failed to react in time. There is a distinct difference. When a player is upright, standing flat footed 40 feet from the hitter would you not agree that is a skills issue that needs to be addressed by the coach and/or parent? People are quick to call out a parent for not mandating their daughter wear a mask. Yet where is the outrage for the coach who places a player in harms way without the requisite defensive skills?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00