Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
If any coach, at any level, said my pitcher DD could not wear a mask, I would punch him right in the face. Then I would say; "Did that hurt? Because a softball moves much faster and is much harder than my fist."

IT'S JUST A GAME!!! And hopefully all of our children will live well past playing said game. I sure don't want a line drive changing any of that.

Apr 1, 2010
A thought occurred to me while I was watching the boys' LLWS a month or so ago. Currently, the Little League division — mainly for 11 and 12-year-old boys — is played on a field with a 46-foot pitching distance, 60-foot base paths and with a harder ball. Yet not a fielding mask to be seen, and rarely on batting helmets. If your son were on one of these LL teams, would he be compelled by you to wear a mask? Or are girls different?

/yes, I realize I'm opening a can of worms.

All those wussy boys are probably wearing cups. If they just learned how to field properly and weren't such scaredy-cats, they wouldn't need them. ;-)

Jun 11, 2013
When I played baseball almost no one I played with wore one unless they were catching. I know on my sons team few wear them.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Not sure why there is a double standard for boys and girls. Maybe we see our "baby" girls differently and feel like they need the extra protection.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Cups are worn in boys'/mens' sport less than you might expect. My college hockey team was probably the only 100% cupped team I've ever been on.

I just find it interesting that this issue engenders such high emotion, e.g. statements to effect that parents whose DDs don't wear masks are neglectful, "DD will never play for an anti-mask coach", "I'll punch any coach...", etc. These discussions don't occur much on the baseball side. My point is there something more going on with this subject than just safety concerns.

Dec 7, 2011
If any coach, at any level, said my pitcher DD could not wear a mask, I would punch him right in the face. Then I would say; "Did that hurt? Because a softball moves much faster and is much harder than my fist."

IT'S JUST A GAME!!! And hopefully all of our children will live well past playing said game. I sure don't want a line drive changing any of that.

So I have stated my true story here before but with all the noobs here I should share this again (to represent what we as concerned parents may be facing)

This should only be considered by parents that are striving, along with their DD's, to get a "paid-ride" through college. (If we were not needing the paid ride for DD she would be wearing a mask too!)

A couple years back we went to a mid-D1 camp that we had interest in. As soon as they brought the group of 100 or so girls into order the coach broadcast to the campers: "All you that are wearing masks I want you to go back to your bag and bury it. We will teach you how to field a ball."

This was a MAJOR message to get rid of the mask or we will NOT respect you.

I personally do not agree with this anti-mask behavior. BUT at the same time there is a validated risk here that your DD might get considered after another DD that does not wear a mask. Terrible-but-true.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Love the screen name Rubber Biscuit!!! Blues Brothers are awesome. Those of us that are old enough to remember the good old days... Sorry for the off topic post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283