Saw the top-ranked 2027 player this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I know 6 pitchers in the area (NJ, Eastern PA, Delaware) that throw 60mph at 12u, including all 3 on my DD’s team.
You said throw, not hit. I think that's why many people questioned your post.

And I would agree that girls are throwing harder now. The change to allow the start back was a huge boost for many girls, mine included. My daughter couldn't top 54 at 13 until the new rules were announced. Once that happened, and her PC made the change, she jumped 5 MPH in one lesson. I saw other girls with similar increases. Since then, the increases have been much less pronounced.

Jan 1, 2023
My bad, I thought I said hit. That’s what I usually try to say.

Pitchers usually mention their top game speed not the average. Average would usually be around 1.5mph slower I’d estimate. Ask a pitcher how fast she throws, it’s unlikely they’ll give you their average, though, unless maybe they are in college.

My guess is there is also a wide variance week to week at this age with velocity. I saw one 14u girl this weekend hit 60mph consistently one inning and 2 innings later she was at 53-54mph.

May 13, 2021
As I said, Newtown is one of the best organizations in your area, and congrats on hitting 60.

I think what I, and others, are taking issue with is the difference between hitting 60 once and cruising at 60. Even the posting by Rita, who's supposedly a great PC, is a top speed in a lesson. For example, she has Valerie Cagle as her fastest recorded pitcher at 76 MPH, but that's not close to what she throws in games. In fact, she wears #72 in honor of her hitting her top speed of 72 in a game, but she cruises between 66-69. Don't believe those ESPN guns. They're always inaccurate on the high side. They had Sandercock throwing 69-70 all game long on Saturday, but she really throws 65-66.
When people speeds I always take it as a the fastest they have ever been clocked with a radar gun. Almost always in a practice session when they were trying to get a new personal best. If people are taking top speed to mean cruising speed they are confused as to what people mean when they post speeds.

May 17, 2023
I know 6 pitchers in the area (NJ, Eastern PA, Delaware) that throw 60mph at 12u, including all 3 on my DD’s team. (There could be more.) I’m guessing you’re talking about the lefty. She’s really good, but my DD’s team has surprising had her number recently. I think 60mph is more common outside this area . A 12-u girl for the Bandits has hit 67mph in game - now that’s a D-1 prospect.

Are you talking about the 2010 girl from Iowa who is about 6' and pitches with Bandits (and other teams)? She is impressive but I've watched her live in skills competition and only topped out at 60mph. She is the type people walk fields over to see.

Watched her pitch in finals of nationals last year and was cruising just under 60 according to the gun. She also gave up 5 in the first inning, though her team did come back to win and close out the tournament.

Jan 1, 2023
Are you talking about the 2010 girl from Iowa who is about 6' and pitches with Bandits (and other teams)? She is impressive but I've watched her live in skills competition and only topped out at 60mph. She is the type people walk fields over to see.
Watched her pitch in finals of nationals last year and was cruising just under 60 according to the gun. She also gave up 5 in the first inning, though her team did come back to win and close out the tournament.

Yes, that’s her. She hit 67mph in game in a 14u tourney, according to Twitter.

She might have been cruising slower last year, plus she pitched every inning of bracket play in the 11u Iowa nationals. I watched that final game.

I watched that Bandits team play in Ohio this spring, but they pitched the other girl and lost to our local rival 1-0. Was disappointed I didn’t get to see her pitch.

Jul 5, 2016
How many high school superstars continue to shine in college? How many very good high school players become stars in college? I'm just wondering out loud. It's kind of like looking at the NFL draft. There are more than few disappointments.

May 27, 2013
How many high school superstars continue to shine in college? How many very good high school players become stars in college? I'm just wondering out loud. It's kind of like looking at the NFL draft. There are more than few disappointments.

I think if the HS superstars choose the right division / conference then they might have the best chance to shine. The tough truth is too many times we see them choose the wrong division / conference and they are mediocre at best, if they even see the field.