Saw the top-ranked 2027 player this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
It depends on your perspective. If you are talking about all of softball top 1 for sure. If you are talking about the teams that have a chance at PGFs they all have at least 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
In games? Do they sit at 60 or hit it once a game? If you have 3 kids who sit at 60 mph, from 40 ft, you must not lose very many games in your region..

They all throw between 57-60mph in games. They are not pumping in 60mph each pitch, nor are the majority of pitches 60mph.

We rarely play 12u locally, mostly 14u. There are only 4 good 12u teams in the area, and each is from a different state. Those 3 are more one pitcher teams,

We can hang with the good 12u Midwest and South teams. At PGF Midwest super select we beat the team that finished 2nd 2-1 in pool play, and lost to team that finished 3rd 2-1. The latter team also finished 3rd in the big PGF Tennessee tourney this weekend, so they are pretty good.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023
Thank you for saying it first. My daughters have played a lot of softball in that area over the last 6 years, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone that age throwing nearly that hard. Heck, I don't see many of them throwing that hard at 16U, and I've certainly never seen 67 MPH at 12U.
I‘d love to know which team they play for - as that is my area. I’m still “in the know” about a lot of the local talent. Then again maybe not so much with “ younger than HS age“ players.

The 67mph girl is from Iowa and plays for the Beverly Bandits. She’s not in the area, but we’ve seen her out of area in tournaments we’ve been in.

Last year, I know of 3 girls in 12u in the area hitting that speed. 2 for the Dukes and a girl from SoCal (NJ). Two of them now play out of state.

This year you have girls from the the Dukes, Ducks, Gators, and Rock (x3) that can hit that speed in game. Our girls are generally sitting between 57-60mph.

Our 12u team hasn’t even played a local 12u tourney this calendar year yet.

Jan 1, 2023
The top organizations in that area are Intensity, PA Chaos, and Newtown Rock. I still have a hard time believing they have three girls over 60 at 12U between all three organizations, let alone one team.
That can hit 60mph in game, not over and not every pitch and not the majority of pitches. Generally sit between 57-60mph.

Two of the girls live 5 minutes apart (although in different towns).

Intensity and Chaos have no girls that close to that speed and don’t play PGF. Dukes, Ducks, Rock, Huskies, and Gators will.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Look, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's unlikely at 12U. On Long Island, we have 5-6 HS girls who can hit 60 in games, and two of those girls are cruising at 63+. Now we're not exactly a softball Mecca, but to have that many 12U girls throwing 60 is exceedingly rare.

Jan 1, 2023
Tough to give proof, but best I can do.

My DD from team’s IG account (was clocked by opposing team this winter.

E4F820F4-D1CE-4777-B9B6-73412A5917AE.jpeg

Pitcher 2 (see 57-60mph pitch)
EC10F6EE-CB72-4A79-84BF-2420684CDDB8.jpeg

Pitcher 3 from Rita Lynn Gilman’s page:
13DADEF1-B590-440F-94BA-2095F28F647A.jpeg

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
As I said, Newtown is one of the best organizations in your area, and congrats on hitting 60.

I think what I, and others, are taking issue with is the difference between hitting 60 once and cruising at 60. Even the posting by Rita, who's supposedly a great PC, is a top speed in a lesson. For example, she has Valerie Cagle as her fastest recorded pitcher at 76 MPH, but that's not close to what she throws in games. In fact, she wears #72 in honor of her hitting her top speed of 72 in a game, but she cruises between 66-69. Don't believe those ESPN guns. They're always inaccurate on the high side. They had Sandercock throwing 69-70 all game long on Saturday, but she really throws 65-66.

Jan 1, 2023
As I said, Newtown is one of the best organizations in your area, and congrats on hitting 60.

I think what I, and others, are taking issue with is the difference between hitting 60 once and cruising at 60. Even the posting by Rita, who's supposedly a great PC, is a top speed in a lesson. For example, she has Valerie Cagle as her fastest recorded pitcher at 76 MPH, but that's not close to what she throws in games. In fact, she wears #72 in honor of her hitting her top speed of 72 in a game, but she cruises between 66-69. Don't believe those ESPN guns. They're always inaccurate on the high side. They had Sandercock throwing 69-70 all game long on Saturday, but she really throws 65-66.
I never said we have 3 girls “cruising” or even “throwing” 60. I always said we have 3 girls that “hit” 60mph in games. The wording is completely accurate.

They’ve all hit 60mph in games (not just one time) and throw between 57-60mph in game. They probably average somewhere between 58-58.5 mph.

I know personally my DD tends to throws faster in games than in practice. It’s actually not that uncommon. One PC recently posted about this on IG. However, I also know girls that throw much slower in games as well.

The Rita Lynn girl hits 60mph in games as well. Some girls don’t have a big practice variance, some do. I’ve clocked her hitting 60mph. Those college girls also likely don’t want to throw through their spin.

I also don’t think 12u girls hitting 60mph in games is that rare. As I said, there are 6 just in our area that I know. At PGF, we see it. I think speeds are going up across the board. Pitching coaches have gotten better.

My original post was in response to someone seeing a 2028 hit 60mph in our area and her being a D1 prospect. I just see that range a good amount, so don’t think it’s any guarantee at this age. The girl that hit 67mph is a different story.

Also, I generally see a 4mph variance in 12u girls during games, so to cruise 60mph, they likely would be hitting 62mph in game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie