Rule about jersey numbers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Getting ready for fall ball, and we were letting the girls choose their numbers for their jerseys. So one girl wants 44 and one wants 77. I guess the question is, is there a rule against this? I could care less, I just honestly have no clue if this is a problem or not, but I guarantee if it's a rule some coach in our leauge will hammer us on it.:)

(We play under ASA 10 JO rules)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The final answer could depend on which sanctioning body you're playing under- they all have their own requirements. Also, your league might have its own specific guidelines for uniforms. I would suggest reading/confirming those requirements before having shirts printed!

ASA mandates "arabic whole numbers" between 0-99. Oddly, they even consider numbers like "03" and "3" to be separate numbers (some rule sets don't).

I'm not aware of any sanctioning body that would prohibit the numbers "44" or "77" on any grounds.

We played a team in a college exposure tournament yesterday. One girl had 88 as a number. I thought it odd, being a high number. Not sure why it should matter what number each child wants to have? Guess I'm green behind the ears or something....a number is a number.

Jul 26, 2010
We played a team in a college exposure tournament yesterday. One girl had 88 as a number. I thought it odd, being a high number. Not sure why it should matter what number each child wants to have? Guess I'm green behind the ears or something....a number is a number.

One of my daughters plays in a travel ball org that has teams from 10u to 18 Gold. Each girl has a unique number they keep until they leave.

-W

Same with my DD - she has her number that she will carry forever more. A number being a number - DD would drop if someone said she couldn't have her's. Thoughts on that were more why would they not allow certain numbers?

X

XTREME GRAPHIC DESIGNS

I recently made jerseys for a 16U fastpitch team and they used those numbers and had no problems.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure if this is common practice but our DD’s uniform and number is good for as long as she stays in the current softball organization. Not sure how they keep track of it but so far so good. (I probably should know my DD’s # but I do not.)

She moved up from 8U to 10U this year and we did not need to buy a new jersey. Saved us a few bucks. If she keeps playing with our current organization we do not need to pay for another jersey until she wears it out.

Dec 15, 2009
same thing here. i think most organizations are like that. the girl keeps her number until she leaves. that way if you get personalized equipment and want to put the number on it or something, you won't have to worry about what number she will be next year.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD wears 99. She missed the practice (for a school choir event) on her first 12U team that they picked numbers. She wanted 00, but one of her friends got it so she took 99. Ironically this was my oldest DS's peewee football number as well.

For school ball they only got to pick from the numbers that were already on jersey's so she took 9, since it was as close as she could get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish