Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
pstein, how do you know about any swings. Seeing them on TV and with the coverage softball gets even a high levels does not include enough opportunities to know what is out there. You admit that you have not attended games as well. Please, take some time to go and watch some of these teams in person. You'll have a great time and see the level you are critical of.

You point out that the MLB high level swing is not out of normal comprehension and yet, you also say that up to 85% of MLB Players don't have that swing. Interesting take on that when the best can't do it with the exception of 15%. Again, 85% of the players in MLB can't do it and yet you/others can.

Here is how I do it.... Lotz of the best in the world on here... !!!

2013 JWWC

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You're right coach. There should be "more of doing less" and there should be "less of doing more". The 9yo or even 10yo swing should have been it. From there, we should have just hit, hit, hit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Scap circling? The pinch? LOL

You all getting the point? My fault, I feel for it. So why am I here???

HoweC. -

Not quite sure, but likely one or more of the following:

A) you want to bitch about HI, but can't do it there
B) you don't want people to repeat your experiences/mistakes
C) you want to share what you've learned at DFP

I'd hope that the answer was C, but so far it appears that its mainly A and B. Not that you aren't entitled to vent if you believe you were led astray, but if that's it, then you've made your point here at DFP. Hopefully though, you'll stick around here and constructively discuss hitting. While some here at DFP, like myself, do read the HI blog, I and many/most others aren't familar with the sordid history/evolution and/or posters at HI and the other/older hitting boards. So, if you're here to help, please keep in mind that a good part of the audience here isn't as sophisticated (yet) as you might be used to.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't belong to a camp and can truthfully admit that I've learned at least something from numerous posters, including yourself, HI/TM, Howard/the lemmings, FFS, RayR, Tewks etc just to name a few (and, yes, even JBooth and PC). To the credit of those who have contributed here to help further my understanding and to her own efforts, my DD's swing improved enough over 5 years so that she's still playing and enjoying the game in college. I think most members here at DFP are aiming for a similar goal.

Thanks and hope you stick around - GM

May 16, 2010
Tommy, the translation of what "The Project" wrote: Don't believe your lying eyes.

The truth: This hitter was taught to swing one-legged. He was taught to pull back and clamp his scap tight. He was taught to aggressively torque the barrel, but not direct the handle at go. And he was taught to "slip the hip". He was taught to Dip then swing. Combine all that non-sense, and you get what you see.

If that above swing is what you are looking for, go for it.

Yep, can't say it much better.

He swings off the back leg. HI thinks the front leg does nothing.

However, if you look at an MLB swing, the hands don't even come around until they get OFF the back foot.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
PC, and I think you might agree, my point to pstein and others is that unless you've sat in the stands and seen some of these girls hit and pitch, you really can't get a real impression of what they are doing. My dd faced a young lady from the Chicago Bandits last year bring it in the 70s. WOW. Sitting there and seeing it was awe inspiring. This summer, she faced an Australian lefty that was playing under International Rules and so, flying off the rubber and delivering a pitch from about 33 feet. This young lady was at least 6'2" and was past the circle on many pitches. Tell me about technique, adjustibility, ... after you've seen that live.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
Brndn062510_abc.gif

Prince_Derby4.gif

Not the same action in my eyes. The hitter on tops head snaps backwards and then His head is snapped forward after the swing as if water skiing and the rope just tightened up and yanked him forward. It lacks balance.
I just went out and swung a bat for 10 minutes to see what I had to do to get my head to make that movement. When I managed to get my head to do it the barrel was out of my control. It felt like My back leg was a pogo stick and I was just along for the ride.

Prince pushes onto his front foot and swings. The bat is coming around after the shift and as the back foot un-weights.

The HI guy just puts his front foot down lightly and swings while on the back leg. His head goes back because he never pushes onto the front foot. His head is trying to stay over the back foot. He is swinging one-legged.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
HoweC. -

Not quite sure, but likely one or more of the following:

A) you want to bitch about HI, but can't do it there
B) you don't want people to repeat your experiences/mistakes
C) you want to share what you've learned at DFP

I'd hope that the answer was C, but so far it appears that its mainly A and B. Not that you aren't entitled to vent if you believe you were led astray, but if that's it, then you've made your point here at DFP. Hopefully though, you'll stick around here and constructively discuss hitting. While some here at DFP, like myself, do read the HI blog, I and many/most others aren't familar with the sordid history/evolution and/or posters at HI and the other/older hitting boards. So, if you're here to help, please keep in mind that a good part of the audience here isn't as sophisticated (yet) as you might be used to.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't belong to a camp and can truthfully admit that I've learned at least something from numerous posters, including yourself, HI/TM, Howard/the lemmings, FFS, RayR, Tewks etc just to name a few (and, yes, even JBooth and PC). To the credit of those who have contributed here to help further my understanding and to her own efforts, my DD's swing improved enough over 5 years so that she's still playing and enjoying the game in college. I think most members here at DFP are aiming for a similar goal.

Thanks and hope you stick around - GM
Thanks GM. I'm here to share, though my passion will come off as "bitching" sometimes. :D

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks GM. I'm here to share, though my passion will come off as "bitching" sometimes. :D

Good to hear, Howe! Passion is good, just remember that not all of us speak or know the lingo as well as Cannonball, FFS et. al. so just try to type a little slower.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, and I think you might agree, my point to pstein and others is that unless you've sat in the stands and seen some of these girls hit and pitch, you really can't get a real impression of what they are doing. My dd faced a young lady from the Chicago Bandits last year bring it in the 70s. WOW. Sitting there and seeing it was awe inspiring. This summer, she faced an Australian lefty that was playing under International Rules and so, flying off the rubber and delivering a pitch from about 33 feet. This young lady was at least 6'2" and was past the circle on many pitches. Tell me about technique, adjustibility, ... after you've seen that live.

Agree!!! My re-solve can't match that !!! We have found it helpful, because we can pause, and score keep... and watch specific things... hitting and pitching. Always better than watching Mtv... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00