Rise ball young pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
ok my .02
I dont care what people say ....a man can make a riseball rise. My dd pc throws on that not only rises, he can seem to make it turn a corner. lol I am not kidding. a rise/curve that if you dont know that it is coming you will not catch it. As far as speed with the pc he can throw one 50mph and it looks to be floating like a butterfly, you hear the air hiss, not from the speed, but from the seams ripping the air. Now he has taught my 14yo dd to throw the rise in the past year and i must agree her's is seen as a rise from the aspect that her drop/fastball falls off the table. The other day in practice she threw a few drops in a row and the hs coach told her from behind the catcher to throw a rise.... catcher... not paying attention... didnt hear that it was coming and sweetly caught it with the forehead portion of her catchers mask. Coach asked her what happened and she said she didnt know, that she must have lost the ball in the lights, because she thought the ball dissapeared. She so expected to drop she lost track of it with her eyes.
So i think for most girls it is more up an upward trajectory pitch with backspin helping it not to drop as one would expect, whereas the dropball does move down with the help of gravity and frontspin.

stv

May 12, 2010
it is more up an upward trajectory pitch with backspin helping it not to drop as one would expect, whereas the dropball does move down with the help of gravity and frontspin.

Surely no one can debate that?

Nov 1, 2009
Mythbusters proved you can not make a ball rise no matter how fast you throw it. Maintain height maybe and that is where the speed comes in. When you shoot a bullet it falls at some point and a softball is not different but if you are pitching from 35ft is will take less speed to maintain its height to the plate than it will from 43ft. Have your pitchers become experts at location and you will win a lot of games.

Jan 27, 2010
When you shoot a bullet it first rises before it falls. There is a bullet trajectory chart on Chuckhawks.com that shows the elevation of different ammo at 100' and 200'.

Jul 26, 2010
When you shoot a bullet it first rises before it falls. There is a bullet trajectory chart on Chuckhawks.com that shows the elevation of different ammo at 100' and 200'.

This is another myth. Almost all rifles have their barrel canted upwards in relation to the line of sight for their optics or iron sights, so, yes, bullets do go up, but only because the gun is designed to fire them up.

I checked the site you referenced and there's an article there that explains it if you don't want to take my word for it.

Bullet Trajectory

In fact, there is a quote in that very article that you very well could simply replace "bullet' with "ball" and it would fit in perfectly into this thread:

"Fact or Myth. So, does a bullet rise after it leaves the muzzle? One says, "yes." Another says, "no." Who is correct? Both could be correct because of different meanings associated with the word, "rise." They might argue incessantly, but their argument will not change the physical aspects of the path of the bullet. If they would concentrate on discussing the physical events, they would eventually conclude that they were each using the word, "rise," differently or that one of them did not understand elementary ballistics."

-W

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
For the sake of argument, isn't the release of a rise canted. A bullet is spherical and a softball is round and has seams. The bullet is designed to have less resistance than the old ball style ammo so that it cuts through the air and will have a straighter path to the target. The bullet has a corkscrew bullet spin by barrel and bullet design and the rise has a 12/6 spin.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Softballtools, hitters learn to not swing at something coming down the middle? Where did you get that from? That's the pitch everyone wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028