Rise ball young pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

stv

May 12, 2010
Reading old posts about teaching the rise ball to young pitchers. I read a lot of you stress the dangers of it and other negatives. I have a 11 year old who Ive been working with. Who has progressed very well. Of course we practice good technique. Stay back, stay open, follow through ect. She is a leap and drag girl hybrid Bill Hillhouse and Rita Lynn. She has a good fast ball, change up and peel drop. Great North and South rotation which we work on (double ball, lined balls). So I have her working on the RB spin with the same tools. We do not really practice throwing it. Maybe once or twice every now and then for fun. But she does work on the spin. Surely this is ok? I also tell her it will be awhile before she gets to throw it due to speed. She understands that. She just began work outs for this season clocked @ Max 49 avg 44-46. This was after batting practice in a cage. Was not planning on pitching but someone had access to a radar gun that day.
I also do not at all want to do her any damage at this young age. Idea being RB will be next pitch when the time is right.
Spin trainer RB...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
No problem working on the spin. Once she starts throwing about 50, you can start working it into her practice routine.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Teaching the spin is fine. It's just having her throw it that can be an issue. Preparing her for it is a good idea though

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I don't necessarily believe in the 50 mph benchmark for the riseball. Mid 40's is fine. I had a 12 y/o who had a very proficient Rise ball in the upper 40's. I also don't believe that throwing it will injure the girls. Some of these things are myths.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
When I make a negative comment on this board, I am generally ignored. I'm OK with that.

In answer to OP; there is no problem with teaching the rise ball spin to a young pitcher, as long as she (and Daddy) understand that the pitch won't work until the speed allows it.

My negative comments:
* I don't necessarily believe in the 50 mph benchmark for the riseball either. Try 55+ (way plus)
* 58mph riseball at 13? I hope she is calling top D1 coaches to come see her play.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Is there anything wrong with experimenting with new pitches as long as it doesn't lead to injury? My DD only has two pitches (fastball & c/u) but she experiments a lot with different grips such as 4 seam, two seam, and starting to work on a knuckle fastball grip. She might never "perfect" some of these grips and pitches, but maybe she discovers one that works better than the others.

Same thought with the riseball. Once she is a early teenager, why not have her experiment with trying to get good spin and velocity on the ball even if it isn't technically a "riseball" for several more years. Experimenting and learning are all part of the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi