Rise ball release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
do you think using that grip with a double ball would be a good place to start?

Maybe... I'm not the person to ask. I haven't much cared for the double ball. I simply use balls that are painted black on half of the ball so that I can see the spin and axis as I catch for them. But I've never been all that big on gadgets and such. However, Pauly did show me a very intriguing core-building exercise with a rope and weighted ball. So, I guess there are gadgets that might well be well worth the time.

I'm of the opinion that pitchers who learn to throw a riseball are those who learned good armwhip (and IR) from that start.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i can remember telling my middle daughter that she was throwing it wrong and that she was supposed to bring her hand up to her shoulder on her follow through and say hello elbow, and her response : "that feels wrong, i'm not doing that". me: uhh ok, just keep throwing it hard. :) she knew what it felt like before i knew what it was.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The best instructors are also awesome students. However, there are two kinds of students: those that parrot what they've been told, and those who comb through EVERY bit of info they can find. DFP is a gold mine for information. Be like Mike.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I do think you experiment a bit with grips.

The one thing I discovered a long time ago... is that the thumb is the largest killer of spin for this pitch. Probably the reason I don't use double balls or weighted balls... as these tend to force the thumb into action.

I like the football for teaching a kid to improve their whip... that is... helping them unlock their elbow, but I really have issues with it translating into a good rise ball.

I've also never had success teaching a turn the doorknob style rise... but I must say that's probably my own bias... as I struggle opening door knobs without my thumb.

I also think that a stripe is a great visual feedback tool for learning to pitch... however, in the progression of instruction that I use... I think mastering the rise benefits from efficient practices... so hunting for a vertical stripe may not be the best use of one's time. I think it benefits the pitcher and the catcher to identify the blur visual versus the "dots"... as the variations in vertical stripes are less forgiving than the seams.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can you spend some time explaining the quality of the blur vs dots? I bring striped balls for the pitchers on DD's team to train/warm up with and I'm beginning to see the value in getting the kids, catchers, parents and coaches to read spin without markings.

Video clips would be cool--still anxious to see more from the new camera!

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
With a standard two-seam rise grip... the narrows spin in a small dot when thrown with bullet.

With the same grip... slowly let the ball roll of your fingertips... and the large dot (the leather between the wide part of the horseshoe) topspin bullet will appear.

With backspin... same grip... the four seams will blur. As long as the dot you see appears around the circumference of the ball (outside)... I don't lose much sleep over it.

Gotta wait til I can have someone hold the camera to illustrate. Maybe later...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45