Rise ball release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Anyone have their DD trying to throw an off speed rise? This is the first time I have heard of it.

Last edited:

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Anyone have their DD trying to throw an off speed rise? This is the first time I have heard of it.

I never heard of it either until that post of Wilkerson and everyone was trying to figure out what pitch she was throwing. That's what it is off-speed rise

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I consider myself a pretty good teacher and can also throw the pitches. I am no BH, but I throw a heck of a batting practice. First, I don't think the fingers ever actually come up the front of the ball. I have tried a million times and all I get is a very slow change up type pitch. I do think you need to release the ball in front of the thigh. The longer you can hold the ball to allow the fingers to properly spin the pitch the better. This forum has helped me realize that using the word "hip" is a fairly old school term. I tell any girl I am working with to lose that word. We clear the hip and try to release on the thigh. I use the thumb as a guide. The ball rotation will follow the thumb. So, when the release takes place, if the thumb is pointing towards the catcher, you can get 12-6 spin. If the thumb is pointing more towards the corner of the batters box it will get a bullet type spin. JMHO

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
As an additional insight on this....grip. Was lucky to have a couple in-person discussions with Rick Pauly Friday and Saturday. The following is a great riseball grip to help get a better axis orientation. The key is to make the index finger really jam (spring load it) by pushing the inside part of the knuckle onto the ball. He tells me it's a more common grip among male pitchers, but works great if a girl can get this grip. Riseball and curveball grip.jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is another view of it. Rick tells me that it is also a good grip for throwing the curveball.

Now this grip is somewhat similar to a grip I've taught, but the pushing of the inside (palm-side) of the index finger against the ball to spring-load the index finger was in interesting insight. Riseball and curveball grip 2.jpg

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This is another view of it. Rick tells me that it is also a good grip for throwing the curveball.

Now this grip is somewhat similar to a grip I've taught, but the pushing of the inside (palm-side) of the index finger against the ball to spring-load the index finger was in interesting insight. View attachment 7908

Is this grip for a regular rise ball or a slow rise? My DD throws a slurve (slow curve) by picking up a knuckle on the grip.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Is this grip for a regular rise ball or a slow rise? My DD throws a slurve (slow curve) by picking up a knuckle on the grip.

As I understood him, the main purpose of this grip (tip of index finger spring-loaded) was to get the axis closer to a true riseball backspin, and to throw it fast with a great deal of spin. Yes, I think there is often a bit of a trade-off between spin and speed, but I don't think that is always necessarily the case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks