Rise ball release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Another thing you might try with the little football is to try to spin the ball end under end. JJ's suggestion of the thumb off might be good with this.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
dont sweat perfect backspin, it can be have a little yaw in it, to throw it fast enough for the spin to do its job you need to let the spin be off center a little, perfect backspin can be thrown but not at a high enough speed to be effective.
Indoors all winter she was getting back spin (not perfect) but spinning fast and backwards. And outside that should be a decent rise ball. But when she tries to put a little extra something on it, she rotates a little and turns the doorknob with the ball facing the catcher. ( hope that makes sense) I didn't know if she released it before the hip if that would eliminate the bullet spin.

Oct 22, 2009
Another thing you might try with the little football is to try to spin the ball end under end. JJ's suggestion of the thumb off might be good with this.

This is what I do, release drills are spun end over end.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Indoors all winter she was getting back spin (not perfect) but spinning fast and backwards. And outside that should be a decent rise ball. But when she tries to put a little extra something on it, she rotates a little and turns the doorknob with the ball facing the catcher. ( hope that makes sense) I didn't know if she released it before the hip if that would eliminate the bullet spin.

A video would be helpful :confused:

gvm

Sep 3, 2010

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

That is perfectly normal. My kid gets great spin from a K, and from an arm circle without a leap. Add the leap and it gets bullety about 70% of the time. But 4 months ago it got bullety when she went to the arm circle without a leap, so it is a progress thing. A true RB takes a while to develop and it is par for the course that it gets bullety when they go to full power. What we do is we just reverse chain it and when it gets bullety we go back a step until the spin is consistent, then rinse and repeat.

I don't think the concept of releasing before the hip will work. The cutting action under the ball is enhanced by the brush and if you remove the brush by releasing early I think it will cause problems. That is not to say that the CUE of trying to release before contact won't adjust the timing in the right way by advancing the finger action a little.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Is that the re-air from last night ??? Hugo gets 2 HR's in that game. The behind the back game:cool:

I going the watch the third game today @ 1pm eastern ESPN2.

Last edited:

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Ok, and I'm glad I asked the question. You know, sometimes you watch a video or go to a clinic and the instructor tells you something that they don't do in their own pitch. But without video it's hard to tell. And sounds like you've had the same issue, from the side everything is great, but when you go full it gets a little messed up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid