The CWS shows bulletspin--rewriting the book on movement pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Have mentioned it a few times on here before but when my DD gets true back spin on the riseball it is 8-10mph slower than her fastball. She uses it as a very effective off speed pitch, it kind of just hovers in there.

When we want to go up in the zone we just use a high fastball. But her fastball normally has some top spin to it.

Would it be better to throw a bullet spin pitch when trying to go high in the zone to eliminate the top spin? Or will the riseball with proper back spin just speed up as she gets older and throws harder. Curious if she should actually learn bullet spin, normally it is an indicator she messed up the spin she was going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What grip is she using on the rise? Does she roll it off over the side of the index finger, or does she use the inside of her index finger to snap into and under (bent finger grip?)

The bent finger rise is generally faster. The thumb off grip, or rolling it out of the hand tends to be more off speed and floatier.

Jan 25, 2022
The ineffectiveness of bullet spin on the screwball has been discussed on dfp a good bit, so please forgive my ignorance here... @sluggers are you saying that bullet spin was having an effect on rise? Or that the rises being thrown were largely just a low/high progression due to angle as opposed to a proper rise's magnus effect? And that some other "movement" pitches had bullet spin so likely weren't moving as a result of spin?

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
What would the difference between a bullet spin-rise ball, and a screw ball?
To be able to compare the two we would need to have a proper definition of a "screw ball". The screw ball could mean many different types of pitches since a true screw ball spin (the opposite of a curve ball) does not exist.

May 13, 2021
To be able to compare the two we would need to have a proper definition of a "screw ball". The screw ball could mean many different types of pitches since a true screw ball spin (the opposite of a curve ball) does not exist.
I was under the impression that a screw ball would have bullet type spin, spinning like a screw.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I was under the impression that a screw ball would have bullet type spin, spinning like a screw.
A screwball is supposed to spin and break in the opposite direction from a curve ball. It's very difficult to get enough of the proper spin to get a good amount of break. This is largely an anatomical limitation. The best you can get is a tipped bullet or top spin pitch with a minute amount of movement. Generally the attempt to throw the right spin results in bullet spin and most pitchers are clueless about it.

Feb 15, 2017
A screwball is supposed to spin and break in the opposite direction from a curve ball. It's very difficult to get enough of the proper spin to get a good amount of break. This is largely an anatomical limitation. The best you can get is a tipped bullet or top spin pitch with a minute amount of movement. Generally the attempt to throw the right spin results in bullet spin and most pitchers are clueless about it.
Most screwballs are simply stepping open to create a bigger angle.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Most screwballs are simply stepping open to create a bigger angle.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
In this area pitchers attempt to throw screwballs with a hand/finger action that is the opposite of a rollover curve. They try to bring the fingers to the inside of the ball but keep them pointed down, and throw a horizontal spin opposite of a curve. Some also step open but it's not very noticeable.

Edit: the typical result is bullet spin.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles