Restrictions on eye black (NFHS)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Is this a softball-only thing, or have you heard this outside the fences, too?
I have only heard this within the context of softball. However, that is the only world I live in. :D

Ironically, I first heard this several years ago from a girl I used to coach who ended up playing in the SEC. She mentioned it while she came for a visit while back home for the summer after her sophomore year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have only heard this within the context of softball. However, that is the only world I live in. :D

Ironically, I first heard this several years ago from a girl I used to coach who ended up playing in the SEC. She mentioned it while she came for a visit while back home for the summer after her sophomore year.

Just checked with 16yo DD. She hasn't heard of it either - rec or HS.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
In some parts of the country (perhaps all of them), the hair bow has significance for indicating sexual preference.

This is absolutely a thing here in NJ, especially among the older (18U) girls. They are all aware of it and make sure at showcases they have their bows on. There is some fear that not having a bow is going to affect recruiting if the coach is worried about locker room dynamics.

My 12s are also aware of it, but they don't care as much. The girls with older sisters are the ones passing that information along.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
“Golden rule of softball: ‘No bow, lesbo,’” an FGCU softball player tweeted in March while thanking a teammate for the advice. “Needles to say, I will never be caught without a ribbon in my hair again.”

Sports exclusive: Undercurrent of homophobia still shapes women's sports | The News-Press | news-press.com

Article is from 2012.

Interesting indeed. I haven't heard anything like that down here in GA - but then again my DD is only in 12u. Will keep my ears open.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
This is absolutely a thing here in NJ, especially among the older (18U) girls. They are all aware of it and make sure at showcases they have their bows on. There is some fear that not having a bow is going to affect recruiting if the coach is worried about locker room dynamics.

Girls seriously think college coaches won't recruit gay women athletes? That has got to be about the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Girls seriously think college coaches won't recruit gay women athletes? That has got to be about the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

If you don't think this soft of thing still happens, I submit you have blinders on. Maybe it's different in California but anti-homosexual bias exists all over this country.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414