Restrictions on eye black (NFHS)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Two questions:

1) My older DD had a new one sprung on her in her last game. HS, NFHS rules with CIF-SS modifications. She puts a typical smudge of eye black under each eye and then smears it down her cheek with three fingers. The plate umpire told her she couldn't play with the eye black like that on her face and she had to go remove the part that extended down her cheeks. If it makes a difference, she was the starting pitcher for the game. I don't have an NFHS rule book, but I was able to review the CIF-SS rule book and didn't find a restriction on the eye black. Was this a legitimate restriction? Her eye black looked similar to this:
softballharperpaint.jpg

2) While I'm on the topic of eye black, is there any restriction on glittery or bejeweled eye black? I saw a pitcher who had eye black that was generously decorated with glitter and jewels that reflected light.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
There is no specific mention of eye black in the NFHS rule book. However, I have heard of some areas issuing a directive that it eye black is used, it may only be worn in a straight line under the eye. No swoops or decoration are to be done with the eye black. The reason given for this is to avoid the appearance or use of the eye black for anything gang related.

If a state association has made this ruling, it should have been communicated to all umpires and teams.

As to your second question, NFHS used to have a restriction on the glittery makeup for the face, but that is no longer in the book. If a pitcher is wearing something on her face that the umpire deems distracting, then she would be asked to remove it or not be able to pitch.

Feb 7, 2013
Have to be honest with you, I don't like the extreme eye black that is being used nowadays. Look a Cheridan Hawkins and Alex Hugo, great players but please get rid of all of that black make-up on your face (bear claws and black saucers under your eyes). And don't get me started on the colored glitter on the eye black? Coaches need to step up and bring some respect back to the game. The dugout "rally cap" outfits are even worse. Jennie Finch did it right in her day...

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Have to be honest with you, I don't like the extreme eye black that is being used nowadays. Look a Cheridan Hawkins and Alex Hugo, great players but please get rid of all of that black make-up on your face (bear claws and black saucers under your eyes). And don't get me started on the colored glitter on the eye black? Coaches need to step up and bring some respect back to the game. The dugout "rally cap" outfits are even worse. Jennie Finch did it right in her day...

I agree. What's with all these facemasks these days? Where's the respect for the game??!

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself).

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't have a problem with the girls wearing the eye black any way they want either. Geez, let the kids have some fun. We're not playing with world peace at stake. Respect for the game is based on how you play, not on how you look.

I once had a player paint her whole face up with red and white face paint. A few umpires found it amusing. One made her wash it off pretending it was against the rules. I was pretty new to coaching back then so didn't challenge exactly where it said the umpire had any say in how a player looks. On the other hand, I wasn't so new that I didn't understand the difference between winning a battle and winning the war. :) She washed it off and we played on.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't have a problem with the girls wearing the eye black any way they want either. Geez, let the kids have some fun. We're not playing with world peace at stake. Respect for the game is based on how you play, not on how you look.

I think it has gone to extremes because all the major conferences in softball (SEC, PAC-12, BIG10, ACC, etc.) are now showing these games on national TV and everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. For example, they frequently interview the head coaches between innings standing in front of their dugout and you have mostly non-starters right behind them wearing all kinds of crazy outfits, masks, makeshift "rally caps" and singing and dancing right behind the coach. IMO, it's become an epidemic and takes away from the integrity of the game. Gorilla masks and horse heads, really????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2