Restrictions on eye black (NFHS)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Fair enough but there is a time and place for everything and wearing a horse head mask in the dugout and mocking your coach who is being interviewed on national TV seems totally inappropriate. We want women's sports to be respected and than players make complete mockery of the hard work and discipline they have performed for years to get to the national stage and they act like 10yos. If you want women's sports to be taken seriously than you need to act appropriately. Chanting and cheering great, but when you're wearing bananas on top of your head and your teammate has on a gorilla mask as a rally cap in the 1st inning, the coach has lost control of the team IMO. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

It's a good thing that MLB players don't do anything silly on camera then...(sarcasm)

Seriously though, I think almost all of us need to lighten up a little bit. Those college girls work their tails off getting to that position. And, when they graduate college and have to face the real world, maybe they can teach the rest of us to laugh more often.

Feb 7, 2013
It's a good thing that MLB players don't do anything silly on camera then...(sarcasm)

Curious if you have seen MLB players wearing horse heads in the dugout DURING the game? I have no problem with the dugout players having some fun but what I have seen lately has crossed the line of being engaged in the game and making a mockery of it (just because its being nationally televised). Not a fan of disrepecting your coaches during in-game, on the air interviews. I want these talented young women to be known for their exploits on the field not their clown outfits in the dugout. Is being focused on the game for a short two hours too much to ask of student athletes? But clearly I am in the minority...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think it has gone to extremes because all the major conferences in softball (SEC, PAC-12, BIG10, ACC, etc.) are now showing these games on national TV and everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. For example, they frequently interview the head coaches between innings standing in front of their dugout and you have mostly non-starters right behind them wearing all kinds of crazy outfits, masks, makeshift "rally caps" and singing and dancing right behind the coach. IMO, it's become an epidemic and takes away from the integrity of the game. Gorilla masks and horse heads, really????

It would appear that neither the NCAA nor ESPN take issue with it. They purposely use a wide shot to show the shenanigans when they could go tight or simply move the location of the interview.

Feb 7, 2013
It would appear that neither the NCAA nor ESPN take issue with it. They purposely use a wide shot to show the shenanigans when they could go tight or simply move the location of the interview.

Yep, the story is about the clown outfits and antics and not about the seriousness of the game and what incredible athletes these women really are. Wonder if these players wore gorilla masks when attending college recruiting showcases? Why not, it's a game and should be fun??

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yep, the story is about the clown outfits and antics and not about the seriousness of the game and what incredible athletes these women really are. Wonder if these players wore gorilla masks when attending college recruiting showcases? Why not, it's a game and should be fun??

Gorilla masks are fine at showcases, but fielding masks not so much.

May 6, 2012
Texas
I enjoy the eye black to a certain extent. The glitter has to go for me it is doing opposite what eye black is for and also I always wonder about glitter getting into there eyes when diving or wiping their face. But I do enjoy the bear claw look I think of it as warrior war paint and like that it even more when your a beast like Alex Hugo and back up the look with the way you play.

One tournament my DDs team was playing during dios del los muertos (day of the dead) So the team agreed to paint their face like the sugar skulls which is traditional for this day and they played like that tiw as really awesome and the girls had a blast with it.

I'm all about this game and love it like crazy and respect it in the same fashion, but I do think some people nee to lighten up most of these girls have put having a normal life on hold for this sport have dedicated more time, blood, sweat, and tears to this game then most people do to anything in life. So if every once in a while they want to cut loose let them. As much time as they spent they have to find things to get them re-excited in the middle of a game you can only keep the hype off of chants for so long I think the rally gear is fun and helps teams stay loose enough to keep focused in the game. And Im sorry but I truly enjoy the coaching interviews it is no different then all professional sports if you ever look at the sidelines you will see all kinda craziness going on just cause the cameras don't show like they do in softball don't mean it aint going on.

May 20, 2015
Curious if you have seen MLB players wearing horse heads in the dugout DURING the game? I have no problem with the dugout players having some fun but what I have seen lately has crossed the line of being engaged in the game and making a mockery of it (just because its being nationally televised). Not a fan of disrepecting your coaches during in-game, on the air interviews. I want these talented young women to be known for their exploits on the field not their clown outfits in the dugout. Is being focused on the game for a short two hours too much to ask of student athletes? But clearly I am in the minority...

conversely, ask me how many MLB games I've watched this season, and then ask me how many college softball games I've watched......

i'm ok with the reminder that it is a game, it is supposed to be fun, and that despite the thousands of hours of practice they put in to get there, it is just as much about having fun and working hard with your (softball) sisters as it is winning.....

i don't consider it disrespecting the game....they are enjoying themselves while playing it at a high level.....i consider that a sign of respect

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
DDs coach is a former college player and has nothing but the utmost respect for the game. Her motto is look good play good. She wants the girls to look put together while in uniform. Jerseys tucked in pant legs pulled up, hair pulled back etc. She is not opposed to eye black 'war paint'. She's even been known to help the girls look fierce with it. All in fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06